Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: browsers

Beans

Re: browsers

FIREFOX. It's open source and has so many nifty extensions to do my bidding!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Stahl View Post
    You might consider keeping two or three browsers in the stable.

1. A browser with Javascript, ads, Flash, everything disabled; no cookies, no history, no cache; private browsing settings. This is for using when you want to ignore all but printed content or when you want to be relatively anonymous online. I use Firefox for this, though you could use Iron or Chrome instead.

2. Another browser with most things enabled. This is for viewing sites that absolutely need Javascript, and for logging in to forums like this one, etc. I use Chrome or Chromium for this.
    You should do it the other way around since after April all plugins and extensions in Chrome won't work (except flash) as google will ban all NNAPI plugins and extensions. BTW, an easier way for you to have a browser like 1) would be to simply log into the guest session. Flash doesn't have to be disabled in FF, just set it to "always ask" will do (in other words, flash block is no longer necessary)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    You should do it the other way around since after April all plugins and extensions in Chrome won't work (except flash) as google will ban all NNAPI plugins and extensions. ...
    Isn't it just plugins?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Isn't it just plugins?
    My understanding is everything that requires NNAPI.

Beans

I like Firefox. But What do you like. in the end that is what matters
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    You should do it the other way around since after April all plugins and extensions in Chrome won't work (except flash) as google will ban all NNAPI plugins and extensions. BTW, an easier way for you to have a browser like 1) would be to simply log into the guest session. Flash doesn't have to be disabled in FF, just set it to "always ask" will do (in other words, flash block is no longer necessary)
    See how unaware I am?

I may switch things around a bit, as you suggest. We'll see -- right now I don't have any Chrome extensions enabled anyway. It runs plain-vanilla. I think the extensions I do have downloaded (but currently disabled) are all from the approved list.

It's not too important which browser is the open one for me, as long as it runs CSS and JS and HTML5 and whatnot. What's important to me is how much control I have over the locked-down one. And maybe SRWare Iron or Qupzilla would give better fine-grained security than FF or Chrome. What do you think? I'm curious.

(Yeah, flash click-to-play is actually what I use in FF.)

Use lynx and wget in terminal !!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Depends on what you want or need. My experience is

1) Firefox - renders websites better, better on resource management with 5+ tabs, better extensions and looks for solutions in open source to include an open source solution to the Flash out of date issue.

2) Firefox nightly - all the above with a new improved UI and considerably faster, beware though it is a development platform which means Beta code involved

3) Chrome - Simple UI, App store, Flash built in, mixture of open source ideas and proprietary and still decent extensions

4) Chromium - Same as Chrome except faster and full open source but lacks pdf viewer and built in flash

6) Midori - extremely light, not much more then a web browser and probably that fastest web browser on this list no matter how many tabs are open, small extension list though.
    We all know Linux is great... it does infinite loops in 5 seconds.
    - Linus Torvald

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

+1, Firefox
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi, I'm using ubuntu 12.04 currently, I'm expiericing troubles for using the gtalk pluging in firefox and chromium.

I tried installing Chrome, but are the executables finish in /opt/... all these files seem to be banned for execution. I tried all flavours of commands to allow execution, but It only can be accessed for sudoers.

other words: If I try /opt/google/chrome$ ./google-chrome
    I get a permission denied

and with sudo ./google-chrome

nothing happens.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast