Thread: Cannot reach a desktop after updating core X packages

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Cannot reach a desktop after updating core X packages

The other day, I updated several packages, no more than about 10, I think, including 'xserver-xorg-core'. Now I cannot reach a desktop. When I rebooted, I could not reach a desktop and the screen just froze at the Kubuntu splash screen.

I tried booting to recovery mode and uninstalling and then reinstalling 'fglrx'. Now, when 'fglrx' is installed, I can never boot past the splash screen - typically the monitors enter Power Save Mode immediately after the Kubuntu splash screen. When 'fglrx' is uninstalled, the PC boots until the login loading screen appears (auto login is enabled), but then the monitors enter Power Save Mode.

Anyway, the only thing I know to try is uninstall and reinstall 'fglrx' or 'fglrx-updates' with slightly varying results but I can never get to a desktop. The PC has onboard Radeon APU graphics with nothing attached, and a Radeon HD 5750 with two DVI monitors attached. There is nothing in 'dmesg' that implies anything wrong and the module for 'fglrx' always loads successfully. Anyway I would appreciate your suggestions. Thanks
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM
    " ... Love your neighbor as you love yourself."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Cannot reach a desktop after updating core X packages

Can you boot successfully after removing the fglrx driver, but before re-installing it? You may be able to downgrade xserver-common and xorg-xserver-core. Those are the only two updates that I got that apply to the graphics.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Cannot reach a desktop after updating core X packages

Yes ... Or update the graphics driver package
    The one that worked for me was the "Beta" one from here.
    Thanks!
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM
    " ... Love your neighbor as you love yourself."