Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WOuld you buy a System76 laptop?

Beans

Re: WOuld you buy a System76 laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by cptrohn View Post
    The Galago Pro sounds pretty nice though. Haswell Processor, Iris graphics.
    I'm sorry, I'm 48 years old. A 1080p monitor is awesome, but 14 inches is ridiculous. I want bigger screens. Plural. As in, can drive 3 or more 1080p or 1080x1200 monitors of at least 17", but preferably larger.

Frankly I haven't seen the laptop I would get next. I'm trying to figure out how to get non-mobile processing power and screens into a laptop bag. This would have the added advantage that I could actually build my system, which is one of the reasons a laptop sucks so bad.

Beans

I would probably not buy one. I just can't justify the price tag when I can throw something together myself, with similar specs, at a fraction of the cost. Besides, I like getting under the hood and learning about computers through troubleshooting and making adjustments. And finally, I like the idea of reusing old hardware to lessen the impact on the environment, as well as not directly supporting Asian sweatshops.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 1clue View Post
    I'm sorry, I'm 48 years old. A 1080p monitor is awesome, but 14 inches is ridiculous. I want bigger screens. Plural. As in, can drive 3 or more 1080p or 1080x1200 monitors of at least 17", but preferably larger.

Frankly I haven't seen the laptop I would get next. I'm trying to figure out how to get non-mobile processing power and screens into a laptop bag. This would have the added advantage that I could actually build my system, which is one of the reasons a laptop sucks so bad.
    the intel GPU on the haswell CPUs is able to run 3 1080p displays for productivity purposes, inches don't matter only the resolution, you just need a laptop with enough display/hdmi/dvi/vga/mini-hdmi ports
    i think most people who use 3 screens have room for a desktop
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by porcini_m.2 View Post
    I have not tried any games on it. Nor have I ever tried to attach an external monitor, so I tried just now, however it doesn't have a jack for the type of cable my monitor has. The only jacks it has for that is an HDMI port and another one I don't recognize - I'm attaching a photo.
    Thats a mini display port, you can get an external connection via HDMI, VGA or DVI using one. The place with the best prices to get 1 is monoprice.

SO you say it has an HDMI and a mini display port as well? Thats interesting to say the least. Hmmm.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cessanfrancisco View Post
    I would probably not buy one. I just can't justify the price tag when I can throw something together myself, with similar specs, at a fraction of the cost. Besides, I like getting under the hood and learning about computers through troubleshooting and making adjustments. And finally, I like the idea of reusing old hardware to lessen the impact on the environment, as well as not directly supporting Asian sweatshops.
    I work on computers everyday for a living. I'm the exact opposite, I DON'T want something to work on at home.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    the intel GPU on the haswell CPUs is able to run 3 1080p displays for productivity purposes, inches don't matter only the resolution, you just need a laptop with enough display/hdmi/dvi/vga/mini-hdmi ports
    i think most people who use 3 screens have room for a desktop
    Actually thats one of the frustrating things about Linux\Ubuntu is with the mutliple monitor support on laptops. PC's and Macs both work well with Display Link adapters that have their own video cards built in that run through USB 3.0 lettting you connect up to 6 displays as long as you have the ports to support it. Never been able to get one running with any Linux distro, even though Fedora touts they work out of the box (but has never worked for me personally)

Beans

Hm, not sure that their strategy about LTS is a plus ...supporting rolling releases and agile development principles might not fit users which don't need latest & greates features, but seek a stabile platform that requires a minimum of maintenance over a longer period of time ..

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mdrag13 View Post
    Hm, not sure that their strategy about LTS is a plus ...supporting rolling releases and agile development principles might not fit users which don't need latest & greates features, but seek a stabile platform that requires a minimum of maintenance over a longer period of time ..
    I agree with that, I stayed on 12.04 for years and just recently updated to 13.10 to get familiar with newer features so that I can prepare for 14.04.

From what I have been reading though the 6 mos release cycles at Ubuntu are probably ending soon though.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I work on computers everyday for a living. I'm the exact opposite, I DON'T want something to work on at home.
    but a home built PC can look pretty cool
    DSCI0192.jpg
    BTW if that is how you feel can i have your job then you will have no issue making your own pc
    Actually thats one of the frustrating things about Linux\Ubuntu is with the mutliple monitor support on laptops. PC's and Macs both work well with Display Link adapters that have their own video cards built in that run through USB 3.0 lettting you connect up to 6 displays as long as you have the ports to support it. Never been able to get one running with any Linux distro, even though Fedora touts they work out of the box (but has never worked for me personally)
    most i ever used was 2 screens, which is as many as my intel sandy bridge laptop GPU supports
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_L View Post
    . . . . Be aware that they only support the latest Ubuntu release, and not the LTS version. So if you're using the LTS, and you ask for help with a problem, they're likely to tell you to upgrade to the latest version and see if that fixes it. . . .
    ZaReason will sell yiou a laptop with any version of Linux that you want. So also do Emperor Linux, and their machines include Lenovo laptops.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast