Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WOuld you buy a System76 laptop?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

WOuld you buy a System76 laptop?

Or have you?

What would you say your experience was like as a customer? Build quality ect?

What are your thoughts?

Beans

Re: WOuld you buy a System76 laptop?

Beans

No, you can get the same thing for cheaper seeing as they just sell rebranded laptops.

Beans

^
    ! +1

Beans

If they sold any good ones I'd consider it. As yet I haven't seen anything high-end from there at all.
    Help stamp out MBR partition tables. Use GPT instead!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes, if I wanted a laptop with those specs and if the warranty was worth the cost difference versus going the DIY route. Frankly, not having to worry about a vendor refusing to exchange a machine if it breaks one week after purchase because i put Linux on it would be comforting.

For years, the Linux community has said, "if only vendors preinstalled Linux...". Well, now a few are, and we should not expect them to be cheaper than a raw machine sans OS. The community already has enough of a reputation as a haven for cheapskates cloaking inside a blanket of ideology.

Beans

I bought a netbook from them three years that I'm happy with. The battery and charger are a little flaky, but I normally keep it connected to A/C power.

Be aware that they only support the latest Ubuntu release, and not the LTS version. So if you're using the LTS, and you ask for help with a problem, they're likely to tell you to upgrade to the latest version and see if that fixes it.

From their CEO:
    And yes, please don’t worry too much about the guy that doesn’t want his computer to change for two years. He’s fictional if you really think about it.
    http://carlrichell.com/post/44549453930/lts-should-die
    Last edited by Dave_L; January 12th, 2014 at 01:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 1clue View Post
    If they sold any good ones I'd consider it. As yet I haven't seen anything high-end from there at all.
    The Galago Pro sounds pretty nice though. Haswell Processor, Iris graphics.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by porcini_m.2 View Post
    I like it, actually that machine is the reason why I started this thread. I am thinking about getting one.

Have you tried any steam games with it? I am looking at it as an ultraportable desktop replacement.

Do you connect it to an external monitor by chance? I would love to try one out with one of the new 29" ultrawide monitors.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cptrohn View Post
    I like it, actually that machine is the reason why I started this thread. I am thinking about getting one.

Have you tried any steam games with it? I am looking at it as an ultraportable desktop replacement.

Do you connect it to an external monitor by chance? I would love to try one out with one of the new 29" ultrawide monitors.

I have not tried any games on it. Nor have I ever tried to attach an external monitor, so I tried just now, however it doesn't have a jack for the type of cable my monitor has. The only jacks it has for that is an HDMI port and another one I don't recognize - I'm attaching a photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast