Thread: I tried to install a vlc sub search extension - now the player doesn't function.

Beans

I tried to install a vlc sub search extension - now the player doesn't function.

According to these instructions:

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/02/vlsub...earch-and.html

What might have happened, any idea? Is it possible to get this feature work or what to do, re-install vlc player?

Thank you!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: I tried to install a vlc sub search extension - now the player doesn't function.

Assuming you ran the necessary commands and they completed without any errors, starting vlc from a terminal might offer some clues. Ctrl-Alt-t, then
    Code:
    vlc

Beans

Re: I tried to install a vlc sub search extension - now the player doesn't function.

As per above post if vlc fails to start due to trying to open on an improper or an supported interface then try starting as such
    Code:
    vlc -Iqt4
    Generally speaking removing, re-installing vlc would have no effect as your issue(s) are likely from local changes. In those cases you could locate & remove vlcrc file, usually found in ~/.config/vlc
    (or just remove ~/.config/vlc folder itself

Beans

Thank you, yes I thought I did. Now the program started and plays well again. And I see VLSub 0.9.10 under the VLC View menu, but it doesn't open up any search window.

This is what showed up in terminal:

VLC media player 2.1.1 Rincewind (revision 2.1.0-207-g89c9520)
    [0x1174058] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
    Fontconfig warning: FcPattern object size does not accept value "0"
    [0x7feb90001248] xcb_xv vout display error: no available XVideo adaptor
    [0x7feb90001248] main vout display error: Failed to resize display
    [0x7febdc2db968] lua generic error: Could not activate extension!

What could I do to activate the extension, anyone?

Beans

I used the vlc -Iqt4 command, the program started well and played the video but again, no search window opened.

and this is what showed in terminal:

VLC media player 2.1.1 Rincewind (revision 2.1.0-207-g89c9520)
    [0x7f4a1c001248] xcb_xv vout display error: no available XVideo adaptor
    [0x7f4a1c001248] main vout display error: Failed to resize display
    [0x7f4a682db5f8] lua generic error: Could not activate extension!
    [h264 @ 0x7f4a328d4a60] mmco: unref short failure
    [h264 @ 0x7f4a3292a680] mmco: unref short failure
    [0x7f4a32864668] avcodec decoder error: more than 5 seconds of late video -> dropping frame (computer too slow ?)
    [0x7f4a682db5f8] lua generic error: Could not activate extension!
    [0x7f4a1c001248] main vout display error: Failed to resize display

Is it possible to fix this problem with the extension?
    Thank you!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Apparently vlsub needs to be updated to work with vlc 2.1.1, see https://github.com/exebetche/vlsub/issues/28

Beans

Thank you, I understood from the link you provided that I should maybe uninstall the vlc player (which wasn't working but kept freezing) and install the 2.0.8 version which still supports the vlsub extension. I found this page:
    http://www.oldapps.com/linux/vlc_pla...?system=ubuntu
    and downloaded the file, extracted it from the tar.xz file into a file named vlc-2.0.8 but now I don't know what to do with it. How to install it? And should I somehow uninstall the vlsub extension before installing it again after getting this other version of vlc player installed?

Beans

Okay, I gave up on the idea of the vlsub extension. I just had a looong session with a more experienced friend, trying to install the older vlc version but

now I just want to find out how to uninstall the vlsub extension

because it's still haunting me in the "View" dropdown list of the newly installed newest version of vlc player. Which still doesn't function, pausing before it even started to play anything.

So if anyone can help me with how to just remove the extension installed following these instructions: http://www.webupd8.org/2012/02/vlsub...earch-and.html I'll fully appreciate!!
    Thank you!