Thread: Unable to install anything

Beans

Smile Unable to install anything

Hi.. I am new here. I recently installed BackTrack on a machine but I am not able to install anything on it. Whenever I am trying it is giving me error. Following is the output I am getting: root@bt:/# apt-get upgrade Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded. 2 not fully installed or removed. After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used. Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y dpkg: warning: 'ldconfig' not found on PATH. dpkg: warning: 'start-stop-daemon' not found on PATH. dpkg: warning: 'update-rc.d' not found on PATH. dpkg: 3 expected program(s) not found on PATH. NB: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and /sbin. E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2) I am getting this whenever I am trying to install anything.. Plz help...Thanks in advance..
    Last edited by mandeeprayat; January 11th, 2014 at 05:22 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Unable to install anything

To fix the formatting, please use "code" tags. This is found in the "Adv Reply." Editing the original post would be best.

In the meantime, it appears something is really borked with the installation - could be that important files were deleted (sudo or root needed) or a loose HDD cable or failing HDD or cracked MB. I'd guess the errors above are just symptoms of the real error to be discovered. Basically, something is wrong so we need more information.

Check the system log files for any warnings or errors. That should lead to what the root cause is. You probably already know howto do this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Moved to otherOS since not Ubuntu.

I thought Backtrack was replaced with a newer different distribution?
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Moved to otherOS since not Ubuntu.

I thought Backtrack was replaced with a newer different distribution?
    It was and I saw an announcement for a new Kali release this morning. These are distros meant to be used for penetration testing, NOT as a normal desktop. Still, I would be shocked if the maintainers tried to break dependencies, but they are security people 1st, linux people 2nd. I could see where They would install from source or with specific .deb files that wouldn't be compatible with the normal repositories.

Beans

It looks like your PATH is not defined, most likely due to some problem that occurred during the install process. This should be fixable by updating your /etc/sudoers file:

Code:
    Defaults   env_reset
    Defaults   secure_path="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin"
    Source: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=69093