Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how tell bash to only autocomplete certain filetypes for specific commands. I've been finding some articles and answers related to this, but I don't think I've found exactly what I want. I'm still rather ignorant when it comes to my .bashrc file, so some of what I've found has been a bit over my head.

I use vim a lot to edit tex files, and using autocomplete on compiled tex files is kind of annoying because there are always a bunch of files with the same filename, but different extensions, .aux, .log, etc. I can add a FIGNORE= to my bashrc file to ignore these, which is useful. But I don't want to add .pdf to this list (so that vim will always autocomplete with the .tex filename) because then .pdfs are ignored for all commands I use.

It looks like the complete command can do it, but I haven't understood anything well enough to decipher what to do. And man complete doesn't have an entry. Can bash be configured like this? And if so, can someone provide some help, or point me to an article with a good tutorial on using this feature?

Thanks!