Hi Folks,

I've recently acquired a new Dell Latitude 15 3000 series, and have replaced the bundled Windows 8.1 install with Ubuntu 13.10 (x86) on it. All is working incredibly well, but for the display brightness controls. Neither the hardware function keys or the Brightness slider control under Ubuntu System Settings have any effect on display brightness, even though the OSD registers hardware key presses in the case of the former.

I see from other forum posts and general searches on the web that this is a common problem that seems to afflict Ubuntu 13.10 in particular. I've tried a couple of the common recommended fixes which worked for other people but in my case they do not resolve the issue. Specifically, I attempted both of the workarounds at http://askubuntu.com/questions/36315...d-edge-lr236w5 with no change in behaviour.

Following is some system information I've gleaned from other posts:

Code:
lspci -k | grep -iA2 VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    Subsystem: Dell Device 0608
    Kernel driver in use: i915

Code:
for i in /sys/class/backlight/*; do echo $i; cat $i/brightness; cat $i/actual_brightness; cat $i/max_brightness; done
/sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0
/sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight

It would be awesome if one of the experts could please give me a hand with resolving this remaining problem if possible

Cheers,
Dave