Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Screen Resolution in Hoary 5.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: HOWTO: Screen Resolution in Hoary 5.04

Go to rescue mode / console, login. edit xorg.conf. If don't know what to fix, you can reconfigure (dpkg-reconfigure). One thing that has saved me in that kind of situation is to connect it to external monitor and fix the settings.

Beans

Great, thanks.

Beans

Thanks again, heimo,

Do you have any more spesific information / links to information about that motherboard and graphics chip on it? (I couldn't find it from Asus' site.)
    Reading this I realize that I posted inaccurate info on my motherboard (thought I rememebered... I apologize for this dumb error - I edited my previous post). It's actually an ASUS A7V400-MX (Info Here) with a VIA KM400A chipset.
    EDIT: Are you sure you should be using via driver? Try savage.
    I tried it also, but it doesn't work. Now that I verified the chipset info, I'm pretty sure the correct driver is via, since the driver's project page specifically says that my chipset is supported.

My Xorg.0.log is here, I'm using this xorg.conf

Apparently DRI and DRM do not work. Can this have anything to do with my refresh rate limitations? I've seen that other people have been able to compile the open source via driver into their system with DRI support.

Related threads in Ubuntu Forums:
    Unichrome support in Ubuntu
    Xorg "via" driver broken
    Need "via" kernel module for Epia CLE266

I'm not sure this might be it, though: I'm a newbie. It appears that for some reason the via driver is not fully working in Hoary. I read that the unichrome driver (which is an open source project for the via driver) would be included in kernel 2.6.11, so I also tried installing that kernel with no luck with respect to these error messages regarding DRI and DRM.

Do you think DRI and DRM have anything to do with my refresh limitation?

Thanks. Regards,

fede.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

To my eye it looks like it doesn't recognize your manufacturer/chipset combination.

Log:
    Code:
    (--) PCI:*(1:0:0) unknown vendor (0x1106) unknown chipset (0x7205) rev 1, Mem @ 0xe4000000/26, 0xe8000000/24
    However looks like Unichrome projects driver would recognize your GPU (at least the latest one, I don't know about kernel):
    http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.p..._id.c?rev=1.16

You can try uncommenting the module dri in xorg.conf, but I doubt it'll make any difference.

Have you tried generic drivers, like vesa or vga? No problems with those?

(Wow, I got a headache of thinking about this. )

Beans

I have a Dell Optiplex GX260 with an integrated Intel card & Dell 1501 15" LCD display but xorg only displays in VGA mode - Hoary picked it up & uses the i830 driver.

I tried changing the display resolution to only allow 1024 x 768 @ 60Hz - preferred setup for this LCD screen & also tried variations of colour depth - all to no avail.

Has anyone tried setting up Ubuntu on a similar Dell ? - my thinking is it's due to the crap Intel integrated card (not being a big fan of integrated motherboard anything personally )

Cheers....

Beans

I've had the problem with being stuck in 640x480 but altering the xorg.conf file hasn't made any difference for me, and I still have no other options in gnome other than 640x480 any ideas ?

Beans

My desktop resolution also gets stuck in 640x480 mode whenever I shut my computer off and then turn it back on. After I turn it on, I restart (without shutting it completely off), and it goes back to normal. I was rechecking this thread hoping that someone might have the solution to this problem. It's tolerable, but still annoying. My rez is 1280x1024 at 60 Hz.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Consumer
    I've had the problem with being stuck in 640x480 but altering the xorg.conf file hasn't made any difference for me, and I still have no other options in gnome other than 640x480 any ideas ?
    Same problem.

I have an nVidia GeForce 5200 card and a Sony Multiscan E210 monitor, if that helps at all.

Beans

I was stuck in 1024x768 and change made to xorg.conf didn't do anything. I just found out why. If you followed the nVidia driver install in the wiki, it ask you to do "sudo nvidia-glx-config enable". Undo that ("sudo nvidia-glx-config disable") and the change to xorg.conf will be recognized.

Hope this helps a few of you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I tried dpkg-reconfigure several times with different options and it didn't fix my prob of being stuck in 640x480. However I eventually got it to work and now I'm wondering what would be the best way of letting other users of my computer or similar (toshiba 2510cds laptop) know how I fixed it. For me it was specifying the horiz and vert sync rate range in dpkg. The auto detected ones just stopped it working right.

Thanks
    Last edited by bikeboy; April 28th, 2005 at 11:38 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast