Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Trusty - Problems with the new 3.13.0-1-generic kernel - won't go past login screen

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Trusty - Problems with the new 3.13.0-1-generic kernel - won't go past login scre

Cavsfan I dont think there is any harm with the dups, I'm still wondering how it so different than mine?
    Maybe just the install process. Did you tick the "nvidia-331-updates" through synaptic or cli?
    Just for Clarification my install is just "sudo apt-get install nvidia-331"
    This is on Saucy(Not to much different than trusty)
    Code:
    dpkg -l | grep nvidia
    ii  nvidia-331                                331.20-0ubuntu1~xedgers~saucy1           amd64        NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU library
    ii  nvidia-persistenced                       331.20-0ubuntu1~xedgers~saucy1           amd64        Load the NVIDIA kernel driver and create device files
    rc  nvidia-settings-304                       304.88-0ubuntu2                          amd64        Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
    ii  nvidia-settings-331                       331.20-0ubuntu1~xedgers~saucy1           amd64        Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
    And yes it has been updating itself with any updates.
    Hope that Helps.
    Last edited by QDR06VV9; January 11th, 2014 at 07:18 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Trusty - Problems with the new 3.13.0-1-generic kernel - won't go past login scre

Quote Originally Posted by runrickus View Post
    Cavsfan I dont think there is any harm with the dups, I'm still wondering how it so different than mine?
    Maybe just the install process. Did you tick the "nvidia-331-updates" through synaptic or cli?
    Just for Clarification my install is just "sudo apt-get install nvidia-331"
    This is on Saucy(Not to much different than trusty)
    Code:
    dpkg -l | grep nvidia
    ii  nvidia-331                                331.20-0ubuntu1~xedgers~saucy1           amd64        NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU library
    ii  nvidia-persistenced                       331.20-0ubuntu1~xedgers~saucy1           amd64        Load the NVIDIA kernel driver and create device files
    rc  nvidia-settings-304                       304.88-0ubuntu2                          amd64        Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
    ii  nvidia-settings-331                       331.20-0ubuntu1~xedgers~saucy1           amd64        Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
    And yes it has been updating itself with any updates.
    Hope that Helps.
    Thanks! I think I'll just leave it like it is because it works well. And I don't want to risk breaking it.
    I used Synaptic to install nvidia-331-updates I'm pretty sure and it pulled in the rest, but I did not have nvidia-persistenced which judging by the
    description and the fact that there is a bug to have that added to the main repository I thought I might just need that.
    That is when I installed the xorg-edgers fresh X crack PPA and the nvidia-persistenced package.
    It pulled in the duplicates via sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade commands. I only use CLI to get my updates.

Some nice person in this forum told me how to set the updates up as aliases in ~/.bashrc to make it even easier.
    Excuse me if you have seen this before as I have mentioned it a few times but I was told to add this to .bashrc:
    gedit ~/.bashrc
    Code:
    # update aliases
    alias ud='sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get clean'
    alias ud2='sudo apt-get dist-upgrade'
    alias ud3='sudo apt-get autoremove'
    I added the 3rd one myself for when it says I have packages to remove.
    Just enter ud and then password and it fetches any updates if there are any to be had.
    Then if anything is held back because new packages have to be added in addition to the ones to be upgraded I just enter ud2 and that does it's thing. Because it has already been updated with the prior command.
    I always run them one right after the other if needed.

Guess this thread is finished as I just got the next kernel a few minutes ago.
    Code:
    cavsfan@cavsfan-MS-7529:~$ uname -a
    Linux cavsfan-MS-7529 3.13.0-2-generic #17-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 10 12:14:30 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    It didn't have any problems like the 3.13.0-1-generic kernel did. Maybe it is because I have nvidia-persistenced installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by runrickus View Post
    Hey Ventrical!
    Let me know how the temps are?
    Running Extreme Tux Racer is bottoms out at 36-37 C. Can't find Lubuntu Screenshot thingy lol

Edit: Runs well at high overclock also. I was using nouveau for overclock.

Code:
    ventrical@ventrical-Asus-Overclock:~$ sudo dmidecode -t processor | grep "Speed"[sudo] password for ventrical: 
        Max Speed: 4000 MHz
        Current Speed: 5127 MHz
    ventrical@ventrical-Asus-Overclock:~$
    Last edited by ventrical; January 12th, 2014 at 12:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I installed ubuntu-desktop on top of Lubuntu install (with nvidia-current) <3.13.2.x.x> and it is working well @ high overclock here.

Edit:

The reason there is no fan reading is because I am using another power port and not the port on the card.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ventrical; January 12th, 2014 at 07:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Just curious, Ventrical... what's your time result when running gtkperf?

frank
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fjgaude View Post
    Just curious, Ventrical... what's your time result when running gtkperf?

frank
    This one machine is a single core , overclocked Pentium with nVidia G210/218.

Just a side note .. I was able to bypass a lot of other ubuntu-desktop current bugs by loading ubuntu-desktop on top of a Lubuntu alpha .iso.

However, back to topic .. here, on this machine , nvidia-current is running exceptionally well with 3.13.2.x.x kernel under both LDXE and Unity.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ventrical; January 12th, 2014 at 12:12 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Running Extreme Tux Racer is bottoms out at 36-37 C. Can't find Lubuntu Screenshot thingy lol

Edit: Runs well at high overclock also. I was using nouveau for overclock.

Code:
    ventrical@ventrical-Asus-Overclock:~$ sudo dmidecode -t processor | grep "Speed"[sudo] password for ventrical: 
        Max Speed: 4000 MHz
        Current Speed: 5127 MHz
    ventrical@ventrical-Asus-Overclock:~$
    Sweet! Thanks for posting back, Guess I should have done that myself.lol

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345