Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: openSUSE forums defaced, user emails leaked

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

openSUSE forums defaced, user emails leaked

As reported by openSUSE on its site:

As hackernews.com noted, the public openSUSE forums have been compromised and defaced. A cracker managed to exploit a vulnerability in the forum software which made it possible to upload files and gave access to the forum database. Passwords: Safe! Emails: Not so much :-/

Credentials for your openSUSE login are not saved in our application databases as we use a single-sign-on system (Access Manager from NetIQ) for all our services. This is a completely separate system and it has not been compromised by this crack. What the cracker reported as compromised passwords where indeed random, automatically set strings that are in no way connected to your real password.
    However, some user data is stored in the local database for convenience, in the case of the forum the user email addresses. Those the hackers had access too and we’re very sorry for this data leak!
    And now?

As the exploit is in the forum software we use and there are no known fixes or workarounds we have decided to take the forums offline for now, until we have found a solution. Stay tuned for updates here, on twitter, facebook or g+.

Beans

Re: openSUSE forums defaced, user emails leaked

Now I know why I'm getting 21 spam emails in 9 hrs. I kind of put 2 and 2 together after noticing the forums were off line.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

OpenSUSE was my first positive experience with Linux. Too bad the forum got hacked. No software with a connection to a network is invulnerable, I guess.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

My e-mail address that I have tied to an openSUSE forums account wont let me login... Haven't used it in well over a year so it could have been caused by any number of things (potentially even the UF hack that happened a while back?). I'm getting the following message when I try to login:

We've detected unusual activity. For your protection, we've disabled your account.
    I pretty much just logged onto UF to see if accounts tied to that e-mail still work, and it seems they do... But I mean, I can't access the e-mail account so that's not really too helpful. At least I'm pretty sure it held nothing of any real importance, just a bunch of old blog and forum accounts, my UF account, launch pad account, bunch of linux forums... No big deal, but kind of annoying now that I know about it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

well that's not good. time to get ready for some spam then.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by RichardLinx View Post
    I pretty much just logged onto UF to see if accounts tied to that e-mail still work, and it seems they do... But I mean, I can't access the e-mail account so that's not really too helpful. At least I'm pretty sure it held nothing of any real importance, just a bunch of old blog and forum accounts, my UF account, launch pad account, bunch of linux forums... No big deal, but kind of annoying now that I know about it.
    The following is OT to this thread, but I'll post it anyway because it might be helpful to both yourself and others in your position with a possibly compromised email account registered to their forum account.

Bottom line - it won't affect your Ubuntuforums activity except for forum email notifications. And, as you have found, it doesn't affect your ability to log into UF from Ubuntu One SSO, but you might find it useful to change your Ubuntu One preferred email and your forum email. Just to remind everyone - once your Ubuntu One and ubuntuforums accounts are linked, you can change the email in either or both and they don't have to match. Email match between Ubuntu One and the forum is only necessary for the initial login association of the two accounts.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    The following is OT to this thread, but I'll post it anyway because it might be helpful to both yourself and others in your position with a possibly compromised email account registered to their forum account.

Bottom line - it won't affect your Ubuntuforums activity except for forum email notifications. And, as you have found, it doesn't affect your ability to log into UF from Ubuntu One SSO, but you might find it useful to change your Ubuntu One preferred email and your forum email. Just to remind everyone - once your Ubuntu One and ubuntuforums accounts are linked, you can change the email in either or both and they don't have to match. Email match between Ubuntu One and the forum is only necessary for the initial login association of the two accounts.
    Thanks for the heads up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Well, this sucks.

I just cleared out my spam folder in preparation to see if there is an increase or not to what shows up there.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hello @dragonbite - I am also an openSUSE refugee - first as RichardET, now as BSDuser. I can't decide which distribution I prefer - Ubuntu or openSUSE, so I use both as my mood strikes me, but I prefer the ease of adding software in Ubuntu over openSUSE, but I also like Yast, so that is a plus on the openSUSE side, thus can't decide.

Beans

In the last 5 1/2 hrs I have only received 3 spam emails. A lot better than late yesterday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast