Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10.04 Themes

Beans

10.04 Themes

A long time ago I loaded 10.04 on my old Mum's laptop and she loves it, finding it very easy and simple.

I have just replaced the hard drive and reloaded 10.04 ( must say I like it too) but on the old setup I had the"Clearlook2 Squared Berrries" theme which gave very clear icons at the top of the window. The "get more themes online" link in Appearance is no longer working. Anywhere I can get and load this theme?

Thanks
    Last edited by agkq62; January 7th, 2014 at 05:57 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: 10.04 Themes

Bit off topic, but 10.04 LTS has reached end of life, as you probably know. I mention this because as time goes by, it becomes more vulnerable, security-wise. It has had no updates since last April, security or otherwise. If your mum isn't online, not a problem.

I built a machine for my mother-in-law who was about seventy then, and she started with 8.04 LTS>10.04 LTS and I have just installed Xubuntu 12.04 LTS at christmas time (she lives 750Km away). I thought the shock of the new, meaning Unity, would not appeal and didn't have much time. I use Xubuntu and know it well so I put a stock Xubuntu 12.04 LTS on there. She was into it straight away and using it as per 10.04's Gnome. Xfce is very similar and easily customisable so I just put things where she had them in Gnome.

Just a thought and suggestion as the software is getting old on 10.04 now and the security issue is worth considering.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; January 7th, 2014 at 06:05 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

All Ubuntu 10.04 desktop flavours has passed end of life. Only the Ubuntu server 10.04 LTS is still valid. It means that the security updates and in general, support for updates and installations from the repositories is no longer maintained for the desktop specific packages. I suggest that you try the new version of Lubuntu, 13.10 or some flavour or re-spin of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (that have support until April 2015 or April 2017. See this thread Old hardware brought back to life
    Last edited by sudodus; January 7th, 2014 at 06:31 PM. Reason: modfied to make it correct

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Lubuntu 10.04? I mentioned Xubuntu 12.04 LTS.

But Lubuntu is another option. Also similar to Gnome.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; January 7th, 2014 at 06:18 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Sorry. I read Lubuntu, when it is Ubuntu 10.04 in the opening post. I was writing my post while yours was posted, Bucky Ball, so I was "ninja'd". I do not intend to argue about suitable flavours. Xubuntu 12.04 LTS is a good option, that I often suggest for old computers, now that Lubuntu 12.04 has passed end of life.

Beans

Thanks for the replies, I will give Xubuntu a try. If dear old Mum wants to stay with Ubuntu 10.04, with regards to security, what is the worst that could happen

Beans
    Hidden!

Someone might steal the money from all her bank accounts, if she uses the computer to pay bills and manage bank accounts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by fred19 View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I will give Xubuntu a try. If dear old Mum wants to stay with Ubuntu 10.04, with regards to security, what is the worst that could happen
    In all likelihood, nothing. But Ubuntu 10.04's software repositories are down, it wont support any peripherals made after 2009 (except storage devices) and your ability to get any support or help with the system will be virtually nil. As your Firefox gets old, there will be fewer websites that work correctly with it. This will be very frustrating. There is a certainty of being vulnerable to security flaws that have been patched in newer versions, but it's not probable that you will really be affected on a simple Linux desktop.

I recommend you upgrade for the non-security reasons.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    There is a certainty of being vulnerable to security flaws that have been patched in newer versions, but it's not probable that you will really be affected on a simple Linux desktop.
    Sorry, but you are wrong. In the case of Firefox, we are talking about cross-site scripting (XSS) vulnerabilities; it means that when you visit a malicious site someone can really steal personal information from you and it wouldn't matter if you are running Ubuntu or Windows (or Mac OS X for that matter.)

In other words, it's not about Windows malware, but browser vulnerabilities that can affect everyone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by kostkon View Post
    Sorry, but you are wrong. In the case of Firefox, we are talking about cross-site scripting (XSS) vulnerabilities; it means that when you visit a malicious site someone can really steal personal information from you and it wouldn't matter if you are running Ubuntu or Windows (or Mac OS X for that matter.)

In other words, it's not about Windows malware, but browser vulnerabilities that can affect everyone.
    You are correct - thanks. I was thinking only of attacks against your operating system, I had forgotten cross site scripting where the attack and stolen data is completely internal to the browser.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast