Thread: Windows Graphics Driver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Windows Graphics Driver

So, I finally dumped Windows 8 after loosing GRUB for the 8th time.... I wiped my hard drive and installed Ubuntu 13.10 as the sole OS, after that I installed Virtual Box and Windows 7 inside of that. Everything works fine except I can't install the right graphics driver?
    Last edited by woopud; January 7th, 2014 at 12:50 PM.

Beans

Re: Windows Graphics Driver

How are you trying to install the graphics driver? Are you installing the "Guest Additions"?

Its located under "Devices" --> "Guest Additions" (or Host + D)

~Caboose
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Windows Graphics Driver

If you have Windows installed in the VirtualBox VM, it is already running the correct driver.

Your VM does not have direct contact with your physical graphics card. Instead, the machine is running on a hardware abstraction layer on "hardware" provided by VirtualBox. The "graphics card" is a custom VESA compliant abstraction, not your physical GPU. Virtualbox uses a software communication channel between the abstracted GPU and your physical GPU. This is one of the reasons that video performance is so abysmal in VirtualBox.

To get good graphics, you would have to use a virtualization solution like KVM(Kernel-based Virtual Machine) with Spice or the like to directly interface with the physical hardware.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.