Thread: Evaluating Trusty Tahr using Virtualbox

Beans

Evaluating Trusty Tahr using Virtualbox

Hi all,

I am evaluating ubuntu 14.04 in a Virtualbox environment. I did a release upgrade and it went ok. However when I restart I get the login screen and when I type my password I get redirected back to the login screen. Maybe version 14.04 is not supported by virtualbox right now?

What could be wrong? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Joseph

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Evaluating Trusty Tahr using Virtualbox

Could be that X is crashing and repspawning (as it often should on a crash), so returning you to the login screen.

Have you switched to a VT and looked at /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old ? That gives the Xorg log for the previous session, which if a crash should be the one where the crash occurred.

d-cosner is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

I had trouble running 14.04 in Virtualbox, it usually took several tries to get the virtual machine to run. I was using the version found in the 13.10 repos, not the latest from Oracle so that might have made some difference.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

VBox works for me under 14.04 just fine. I haven't tried the reverse, never do.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

It's running fine for me as a guest.

You may be running into a mundane .Xauthority/.ICEauthority issue.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

I had the same problem when running on 13.10 and testing 13.10 (testing other things on a fresh install). I could never figure out what the problem was.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I also have Xubuntu 14.04 64bit running fine in the PUEL Oracle version of VB with all guest additions included and it's hard to see a difference between that and my default installed version of Xubuntu 12.04 64bit. Both run verry fast on my i5-3570K with integrated HD4000 graphics and 8GB ram (2GB ram set for the VM).

I had no problems installing direct from the downloaded iso image file on my hard disk, and my only problem so far, not being a great VB expert, was that I did not realise I needed to install the guest additions again when kernel 3.13 came along a few days ago, so I lost the full screen graphics.

Beans

I was running Trusty on virtualbox. After the initial install, I had a decent screen size but after the usual apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade I only got a 640x480 resolution. Installing the guest additions fixed that. Thanks for the hint!