Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Partitions on Dell Dimension 8300

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Re: Partitions on Dell Dimension 8300

I have an 8300 at work from 2003 that is about to be retired (about time), although, it has been upgraded to 2 GB. The video card is Nvidia FX5200. I don't know if any proprietary nvidia drivers support that 10 year old card any more, so you may be stuck with the default nouveau driver. It might work best with a 12.04 version (maybe Lubuntu which is lighter). I know that graphics seemed to slow down in 12.10 with the nouveau driver even with a faster graphics card, but I don't know how 13.10 compares because I only have that on a laptop with nvidia GTX 765M (along with Intel graphics).

My old PC at home from 2004 with Athlon64 3200+ (2 GHz) w/2 GB RAM originally included FX5200 and I had to upgrade the psu to handle a faster video card (currently a legacy ATI Radeon X1300). It still has Ubuntu 10.04 on it, but 12.04 iso on USB stick seems to work fine on it, so I should upgrade it one of these days and give it to my grand nephew twins (they currently have Ubuntu based "Qimo for Kids" on a Pentium 550 MHz).
    i5 650 3.2 GHz upgraded to i7 870, 16 GB 1333 RAM, nvidia GTX 1060, 32" 1080p & assorted older computers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by mick_ub_v11 View Post
    I forgot the important part on the Ubuntu 13.10 install:
    It works and in a good display setting, but in SLOW MOTION (i.e., not practical or useful).

Thanks,

- Mick

now go to software center and find and install Lubuntu desktop.

reboot and before you sign in select lubuntu desktop instead of ubuntu/unity/gome whatever it says nowadays.

alternatively you can install only lxde and then add programs found in lubuntu.

nomodeset might be a good boot option to use but we'll see if it works without it first.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

I created a Lubuntu Alternate ISO install CD.
    The install starts up with a DOS appearance, asks "English", "US", and all that, and then hangs.

If I run from the CD, the graphics are fine and the speed is fine.
    When I had Ubuntu (12.04 or 13.04, I forget now which) running (before trying to upgrade to Ubuntu 13.10) the graphics and speed were fine (or at least adequate).

If I install and run Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, the speed is fine but the graphics are out of whack (648x480).
    If I install and run Ubuntu 13.04, it just hangs with a gray screen.
    If I install and run Ubuntu 13.10, the graphics are fine and the speed is really slow.

If I install Lubuntu 13.10, the final step of the install crashes.

Thanks,

Mick

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mick_ub_v11 View Post
    If I install and run Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, the speed is fine but the graphics are out of whack (648x480).
    If I install and run Ubuntu 13.04, it just hangs with a gray screen.
    If I install and run Ubuntu 13.10, the graphics are fine and the speed is really slow.

If I install Lubuntu 13.10, the final step of the install crashes.
    else
    goto #12
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12