Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange error message while boot to 13.10

Beans

Strange error message while boot to 13.10

In fact the messages for errors are two, the first is on boot, the second is when I'm logged in, and it repeats 2-3 times again and again no matter if I send the message for error or I do not.

The first is

And the second is

I'm not a tech guy, but the system is updated, and Games work so I don't believe to be Nvidia issue.

I use Intel Core i5; NVIDIA GeForce GT 520MX, Optimus.

Any idea? Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Re: Strange error message while boot to 13.10

You may get one or two DRM errors like that in 13.10 during boot, even after you install nvidia drivers. And I occasionally get those pop ups too. But everything seems to work fine, once you figure out if you need some parameters for optirun to use nvidia graphics for certain games. I forget if Additional Drivers app is still on 13.10, but even if it is or you install it, that will not automatically come up with nvidia drivers when using default Intel video. But the Software Center can be used to install nvidia-current or possibly other nvidia drivers which should automatically add bubblebee-nvidia for optirun to work with nvidia drivers. Although, I have not figured out how to get primusrun to work yet.
    i5 650 3.2 GHz upgraded to i7 870, 16 GB 1333 RAM, nvidia GTX 1060, 32" 1080p & assorted older computers

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

danbuz & efflandt;

The error reflects nouveau. Mind you, I do not know, but, I would have expected when the Nvidia driver was installed that the opensource driver nouveau would have been blacklisted (??).

Maybe look and see if this is the case:
    Code:
    ls -la /etc/modprobe.d/
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    If you find it is not on the list, perhaps add nouveau to the list so the kernel does not try and load it.

Hey, its just
    a thought
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    danbuz & efflandt;

The error reflects nouveau. Mind you, I do not know, but, I would have expected when the Nvidia driver was installed that the opensource driver nouveau would have been blacklisted (??).

Maybe look and see if this is the case:
    Code:
    ls -la /etc/modprobe.d/
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    If you find it is not on the list, perhaps add nouveau to the list so the kernel does not try and load it.

Hey, its just
    a thought

I assume this is a list with the hardware that might cause the problem, or I'm wrong? If it is that, non of the listed is my case..

Quote Originally Posted by efflandt View Post
    You may get one or two DRM errors like that in 13.10 during boot, even after you install nvidia drivers. And I occasionally get those pop ups too. But everything seems to work fine, once you figure out if you need some parameters for optirun to use nvidia graphics for certain games. I forget if Additional Drivers app is still on 13.10, but even if it is or you install it, that will not automatically come up with nvidia drivers when using default Intel video. But the Software Center can be used to install nvidia-current or possibly other nvidia drivers which should automatically add bubblebee-nvidia for optirun to work with nvidia drivers. Although, I have not figured out how to get primusrun to work yet.
    I installed nvidia-current and it broke my os. I cannot log in, after boot the screen freezes with the startup logo and the processor do not even run..
    Any long term suggestions after the fresh install?
    Last edited by danbuz; January 14th, 2014 at 09:25 AM.

Beans

Guys pls, your help will be much appreciated!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

1. Try opening a terminal and running "sudo nvidia-xconfig", then reboot. That ensures you have the xorg.conf file needed to run the Nvidia proprietary driver. Typically, you will get a black screen with Nvidia's driver if xorg.conf isn't there. (Nvidia-xconfig should execute during the driver install process, but it often does not, on every distribution i've used.)

2. The "System Program Problem..." popup is generated by a program called "apport". In very many cases, if that Apport did not produce that popup, you would not have known something happened. It often reports known, and unpatched, bugs. A number of distributions based on Ubuntu disable Apport. The same bugs likely still happen but users don't notice them. Google "disable apport" if you want to disable it on your system.

Beans

Thanks I will try it later and I will post what is going on..

Beans

sudo: nvidia-xconfig: command not found

That is what i get when "sudo nvidia-xconfig"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by danbuz View Post
    sudo: nvidia-xconfig: command not found

That is what i get when "sudo nvidia-xconfig"
    Have you installed the Nvidia proprietary driver? If so, how? Did you use the "Additional Drivers" feature?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    Have you installed the Nvidia proprietary driver? If so, how? Did you use the "Additional Drivers" feature?
    When I go to "additional drivers" it is empty and there is no additional drivers to isntall.

I tried to install nvidia via software center, then tried second method, and crash my sistem for 3th time. I read something about bumblebee but also read that it is not fully nvidia alternative, and it not perform 100%.

What to do now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast