Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: gparted unable to partition harddrive

Beans

gparted unable to partition harddrive

I was unable to find a thread dealing with this issue, but I am new so please forgive me if this has been solved already.
    I wanted to partition the hard drive on my laptop to dual boot Windows 8. Right now I'm running Ubuntu 13.10. The problem is that when I open gparted, I can't select "new" from the rick click drop-down in order to create a new partition. Does anyone know what the issue is here? Is there another way or an easier way to go about doing this?

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: gparted unable to partition harddrive

Welcome. The partitions you want to manipulate must unmounted so booting from the Live media is the way to go. But to clarify, are you right clicking on free space and trying to create a new partition? You need free space to create a partition which means you may need to shrink an existing partition.

Perhaps attach a screenshot of Gparted to your next post (Adv Reply>paper clip icon>attach screenshot).

And Gparted is the easiest way to go about what you want to do .
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; January 6th, 2014 at 05:44 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Moved to Absolute Beginners.

Beans

Yes, I am right clicking the free space and trying to create a new partition. However I am not able to select "new" (it's whited out). Because of this I am unable to create new partitions so I only have my /boot/efi, my root partition, and my linux-swap. This is going to sound ridiculous but I tried taking a screenshot but I can't take a screenshot while I am right-clicking. Also for some reason my Ubuntu software center has stopped working after I was looking at gparted (though I didn't do anything so I'm not really sure what happened) otherwise I would install gimp and go ahead and post a screenshot.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Applications>Accessories>Screenshot (or there should be a screenshot app by some other name there).

If you have /boot/efi partition and Win8 is installed, you need to be booting in EFI and install Ubuntu in EFI. That could be why you are having problems.

First you need to go to Win8 and switch of Faststart. You then need to reboot and switch off secureboot and fastboot and anything else you can spot in the BIOS and make sure you are booting the disk EFI. Some BIOSs allow you to boot just the optical drive or USB in EFI.

Bottom line: check in the BIOS to make sure you are booting the Live media in EFI and not legacy or anything else.

Just a few thoughts.

PS: You must select 'Something Else' at the partition section of the install when booting in EFI, NOT 'Alongside' option.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; January 6th, 2014 at 06:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 88390b08 View Post
    Yes, I am right clicking the free space and trying to create a new partition. However I am not able to select "new" (it's whited out). Because of this I am unable to create new partitions so I only have my /boot/efi, my root partition, and my linux-swap. This is going to sound ridiculous but I tried taking a screenshot but I can't take a screenshot while I am right-clicking. Also for some reason my Ubuntu software center has stopped working after I was looking at gparted (though I didn't do anything so I'm not really sure what happened) otherwise I would install gimp and go ahead and post a screenshot.
    As stated, open the screenshot app and set a delay.That'll capture any menus or dropdowns.
    5 seconds should be plenty of time to set screen as you want.

You could also take a normal shot of gparted, as is.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Sorry, I wasn't clear about what I am currently doing. I only have Ubuntu 13.10 running on this laptop. I do not have Win8 installed. I was under the impression that how I would dual-boot Win8 alongside Ubuntu 13.10 would be to first create a partition using Gparted, then install Win8 on said partition. What I am getting from your response is that I need to first get Win8 and then move on from there (?).

I am unsure of what you mean by "booting the Live media in EFI". Sorry I am so new to this so I am struggling a bit with understanding the terminology.

Thanks so much for the help!

Beans

Screenshot from 2014-01-06 09:38:38.png

Here is the screenshot of GParted.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Ok. All good. You can just leave free space at the beginning of the drive (if possible) for the Win8 install. It will format the free space and install itself fine.

Win8? Think that needs about 40Gb but you might want to check. If you want to share data between Ubuntu and Win you are also going to need an NTFS data partition for that.

As for the EFI stuff, you have a /boot/efi partition for Ubuntu already by the sounds of it which implies the disk was set in the BIOS to boot in EFI mode when you installed Ubuntu. As far as I know, you need to make sure it is set to boot EFI when installing Win8 in that case. If you've changed nothing, it would be, but you can check in the BIOS when you are setting it to boot from the Win8 CD.

I'm only just learning about the wonders of EFI (spin three times, do a little dance, mouth an incantation and cross your fingers) so hopefully someone with more knowledge of EFI will pipe up. A screenshot of Gparted will help a lot.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You need to make space for Windows, but it needs more than one partition. It also has a system reserved unformatted space in front of the first NTFS partition. It needs the efi partition also, but must use the same efi partition you already have so that is ok.

Microsoft suggested partitions including reserved partition for gpt & UEFI:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...8WS.10%29.aspx
    Older Windows info on gpt - 2008 updated 2011
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/wind.../gg463525.aspx
    Windows technical info on gpt and GUIDs
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/wi...sktop/aa365449
    Order on drive is important: msftres
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microso...rved_Partition

Windows will also make itself first in UEFI boot order, but you should be able to change that back. You still need secure boot off, fast boot off if you want to dual boot.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast