Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia driver 331 on Ubuntu 13.10 with dual Nvidia GPUs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Angry Nvidia driver 331 on Ubuntu 13.10 with dual Nvidia GPUs

I started to post with the intent to ask a question, but I think I just solved my problem and wish to enlighten the masses. I installed the latest Nvidia 331.xx drivers on Ubuntu 13.10 with:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppaorg-edgers/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-331
    and my graphics went to crap. The error was: “The system is running in low-graphics mode”. Reverting to the Nvidia-current drivers did not solve this issue! I tried everything here: http://ozkaya84.wordpress.com/2013/0...cs-mode-error/ and nothing worked. I ended up re-installing the OS and trying again. When I installed nvidia-331 this time, I noticed that it installed bumblebee. At this point, after working 5 hours on this problem, I knew that this was a dual integrated graphics, nvidia graphics program. On a hunch I uninstalled bumblebee:
    sudo apt-get --purge remove bumblebee
    sudo reboot
    And wouldn't you know, my graphics worked again. Screw bumblebee!! Hopefully this saves someone some time.

Beans

Re: Nvidia driver 331 on Ubuntu 13.10 with dual Nvidia GPUs

Thank you very helpful,timesaver

Beans

A big thanks, took me ages to find this, but just a few seconds to fix the problem.

Beans

according to http://askubuntu.com/a/403329 and https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...1/+bug/1265570
    you also have to remove /etc/modprobe.d/bumblebee.conf

Beans

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! This problem is with all nvidia drivers (nvidia-current ie 309, 313, 319, 331). And it exists in Ubuntu 12.04 and 13.10. I actually re-installed my system (was 12.04) to 13.10 thinking that it would fix the problem (it did not). So it seems that bumblebee has majority broken ALL nvidia drivers (even the binary install package from nvidia is broken). This is really an unacceptible bug ... how did this get past QA????

Thanks again marcus!!

Beans

Thank you so much. Worked like a charm. Took me a couple of days to straighten this out.

Beans

Thank you so much ! Works for me, finally after 4 hours ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

just found your post this worked great literally fixed everything that was wrong thank you !

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Bumblebee all gone but resolution still too low

I too am running Kubuntu 13.10 with nvidia-331 installed. Following the suggestions here I purged bumblebee and verified that all its files are gone:
    Code:
    sudo updatedb
    locate bumblebee
    and indeed there are no bumblebee files left.

But I still cannot get resolution better than 1024x768. (I want 1280x1024.) I determined this by going to the Display section of System Settings and looking at the resolutions offered there (you need to click on the arrows icon to see them). 1024x768 was the top of the list.

Earlier posts in this thread didn't clarify what actual resolutions people have been able to get, except that they're not low.

Beans

Why is there a emotion in the code? Can not for the life of me figure out how it is supposed do be... Can not get it to work. Can any one give me "sudo add-apt-repository ppaorg-edgers/ppa" this code whith out the emotion in the middle? ;p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast