Thread: Question about package, library and tool

Beans

Question about package, library and tool

Hi,
    I am new to Linux. Below the dot line is from a software description. The second line says packages to build. The red line looks like to build the Gstreamer. What are the packages? The blue lines are tools I guess. Could you give me some explanation on these lines?

Thank,

The following lists some of the software components and dependencies associated with the Sitara SDK.
    Dependancies: Required packages to build Gstreamer on Ubuntu:
    sudo apt-get install automake autoconf libtool docbook-xml docbook-xsl fop libxml2 gnome-doc-utils
    • build-essential
    • libtool
    • automake
    • autoconf
    • git-core
    • svn
    • liboil0.3-dev
    • libxml2-dev
    • libglib2.0-dev
    • gettext
    • corkscrew
    • socket
    • libfaad-dev
    • libfaac-dev

Software components for Sitara SDK Release:

glib
    gstreamer
    liboil
    gst-plugins-good
    gst-ffmpeg
    gst-plugins-bad
    gst-plugins-base

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Question about package, library and tool

I have no idea why they're separated and what the distinction is, but they're a mixture of libraries (e.g. libxml) and programs to build source code (automake). If the software package says to install them, I imagine the best thing to do would be to install them (via apt-get or whatever, not from source unless you need to) and then see if you can use the package correctly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

When you ask the package manager to install something it will check for dependencies and if it finds that the system needs additional software it asks your permission to install it. Or am I misunderstanding this? If it doesn't do this automatically you will need to install them by copying the line beginning with "sudo apt-get .."

Beans

You are misunderstanding.
    The package cache on your system includes a list of every package's immediate dependencies.
    When the package manager (apt) installs a package, it consults the cache for those lists. It constructs from those lists a dependency tree of *all* dependencies needed, and then downloads and installs everything needed in the same session.

You can see the cache immediate dependencies and reverse-dependencies using the apt-cache command.
    Code:
    $ apt-cache depends hello
    hello
      Depends: libc6
     |Depends: dpkg
      Depends: install-info