Thread: Recover Windows media from failed win 7 /Ubuntu /Wubi hdd.

Beans

Question Recover Windows media from failed win 7 /Ubuntu /Wubi hdd.

Would like to Recover Windows media folders and files from failed win 7 /Ubuntu /Wubi hdd. (host drive)
    to new drive.

I have a 750gb Seagate hdd the windows 7x64 OS partition is fubar none of the usual recovrey
    repair methods work startup repair Seatools .WD lifguard
    etc,etc it has bad unreadable win OS partition sectors smart drive is tripped also. it will not load windows but
    boots into Ubuntu/wubi just fine

I have Linux Ubuntu 12.04/Wubi install on the win 7 storage partition
    of the old windows drive it will boot into Ubuntu/wubi which works fine but not windows all repairs to windows partition
    have failed .

I can view the media files,folders and sub folders on the win 7 storage partition (old drive ) with Ubunto
    in the ubuntu host file folder they look fine .

I replaced the hdd in the PC with a clean install of win 7x64 HP
    on a new Seagate 1 TB drive win 7 PC works fine with new drive .

Problem is I would like to transfer the media files from old drive to the new win 7 HDD
    Ubunto ofc can not mount the windows host drive partitions files or move them
    or read the windows os partition just the host drive storage files

I tried putting the bad drive as a second HDD Ubunto boots and works
    windows does not . I'm trying to figure out a way to move the media files to the new drive.

Ubunto sees the windows OS and storage partitions but can not move /copy the windows media files
    to new windows drive.

I Tried glary utilities and file inspector 4, etc they only see the windows OS partition
    97 GB of 750 gb they can't read it or recover or move the storage files either Ubunto can only view
    the windows storage files in the Ubuntu host file folder .

The long and short of it is I would like to move or copy the Windows media files
    from the wubi/Ubuntu host folder (old drive ) to the new windoews drive any ideas would be helpful .
    I have downloaded a live CD since one problem is the wubi install is virtual on windows drive
    that was probably a mistake rather than a real partition . lesson learned there is the new drive will get a proper linux ubuntu partition
    Ofc I'm new with Linux and not very proficiant yet. I hope I explained it correctly.

best regrds
    Last edited by preferred_user; January 5th, 2014 at 07:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Recover Windows media from failed win 7 /Ubuntu /Wubi hdd.

When you're running Ubuntu installed using Wubi, the Windows filesystem is already mounted -- under "/host" in the filesystem.

If you can access directories and files under /host, you may be able retrieve them and copy them to your new drive.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Other OS/Distro Support.

Beans

Re/ Mark Phelps ,

Thanks, I tried that it presents error message stating drive is busy and won't let me move or copy any of the host files
    or modify / manage partitions .There are some newly found (to me ) similar threads/ discussion I should read.
    Thanks to Bucky Balls also for moving this post to the appropriate forum .
    ofc ideas /suggestions are welcome also.
    Last edited by preferred_user; January 6th, 2014 at 03:51 AM.