Thread: record video from webcam using java gstreamer

Beans

record video from webcam using java gstreamer

Hello,

I'm tring to wirte an application which records video from my web cam to a file using gstreamer for java (working with eclipse on ubuntu). I'm quite new to gstreamer so to begin with, I just built a src element which is my webcam and a sink which is a file I created. Then I added them to a pipeline, linked and played the pipeline for 10 seconds.

The application "worked fine" and a file was created (pretty large). But, when I try to play the file with VLC (or any other media player) I see nothing. I don't know if it has anything to do with the fact the video wan't encoded or something like that. I wanted to try to encode the video before putting it into the file but I don't know how - I can't seem to find any element in the "gstramer for java" package which encodes video.

I would be more than glad to get your help to record the video with and without encoding (if possible).

Thanks in advance,

Ilan.

Comment: Please don't tell me to go to "gst-launch" because I did it already and it worked, but I couldn't find a way to translate it to java code.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: record video from webcam using java gstreamer

What does a tool such as 'mediainfo' tell you about the file produced?
    Warning: unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.