Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where are the jobs?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Where are the jobs?

This is not only for me, but also for a few aquaintances of mine.

I know there are LOTS of jobs out there for Linux professionals.
    But honestly I (and lots of other linux admins) can't really figure out where to find the jobs.

All I can find on google is that "There is a growing demand for linux admins" and "Salaries for Linux professionals is growing by 31%/yerar"
    But as far as I can tell you either need to know someone on the inside of a company, or be summoned by the dark brotherhood...

So for me, my friends, and all the other people who see this thread...

Where, and how, can a Linux Pro find a well paying job?
    Things to remember :
    - Use proper english
    - Comment your code
    - Keep background information and introductions to a minimum

Beans

Re: Where are the jobs?

I think it depends on where you live. Where I live, there aren't many Linux jobs, and most of them also require skills with Microsoft or Oracle products.

Of course, it's hard to find actual jobs anyway; if you check job listings, most of them are recruiters and consulting firms just looking to build a roster.

Beans
    Distro

I live in kentucky.
    Not many people here even realize that there is anything besides Windows.
    The people that know about Linux are scared of it around here.
    Most people think "I can't run <insert favorite software here> on linux, so it sucks.
    So it is very hard to find jobs which use Linux here.
    Things to remember :
    - Use proper english
    - Comment your code

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Try Craigslist for starters.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan_Williams View Post
    I live in kentucky.
    Not many people here even realize that there is anything besides Windows.
    The people that know about Linux are scared of it around here.
    Most people think "I can't run <insert favorite software here> on linux, so it sucks.
    So it is very hard to find jobs which use Linux here.
    Tennessee tends to be similar, but you'd be surprised where you find people using Linux here and there. Just a couple days ago I notice the digital signage at the local Kroger was down and displaying a typical Linux shutdown sequence (couldn't tell what distro). I occasionally see Linux skills being asked for in relation to ISP type jobs.

Sometimes you just have to be the guy who introduces an organization to Linux and open source. Where I work, I'm largely responsible for implementing what Linux-based solutions we use. If you have those tools in your belt, and you work somewhere with the flexibility to fix issues the way you see fit, things like that just happen.

Beans

I don't think pure admin is a good route to take in this day and age. Learning some coding and going DevOps should get you lots of opportunities - perhaps even allow you to work remotely if you aren't willing to relocate.

Beans
    Distro

So what would be the best companies to seek employment with (employment related to linux)?
    I have had only one job that allowed me to use my linux skills.
    I was working for a fabrication company that deals with a LOT of Japanese and South Korean companies.
    They had a linux server that contained all of their quotes, invoices, documents, inventory, etc, which I had to keep maintained (files in the right places, updates, user accounts, etc...)
    Thats the type of job I am seeking again.
    Things to remember :
    - Use proper english
    - Comment your code

d-cosner is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

I have to agree with most everything that has already been said. All of the big companies around my area have moved out or shut down. The ones that remain pay their IT people less than the people working on the shop floor... The few Linux related jobs I see are in the bigger cities like FT Wayne and Indianapolis. My thinking is that because of the current economy, factories will have to take a serious look at running Linux in the near future.

The factory I work for is so cheap now that they have replaced shop towels with paper towels! It sounds hilarious but that is just one example, they are really cheap on everything these days. They looked at Ubuntu 8.04 back when it came out but found it to be too buggy at the time and very costly to make the switch. Things have changed since then, quality has improved along with applications and maybe they will take another look.

I am not trying to criticize anybody here, money is tight for everyone including big corporations and Ubuntu has much better quality control in place now. Also, I am not picking on Ubuntu but even large corporations think of Ubuntu when you mention Linux. The best I can do is simply to bide my time and hope that employers see the value of open source and begin using it where it makes sense too. Many of the computers that run our machinery still run DOS 6, it works and it would not be worth the time and effort involved to try and change that. However, I see no reason why Linux could not be deployed in the offices.

Applications like LibreOffice would be very practical in an office environment and could save any given company a small fortune. Companies could also get more years of use out of their computers running Linux. The global economy will help to promote the use of open source and many are more receptive to the idea now that most cell phones are running on open source.

Beans

I think in order to obtain the Linux jobs we want, we may have to be the ones to introduce the products into the community or workplace. There are a mass majority of locations in the United Stated at least, that are still so new to it, or have not yet been exposed to it, that they have not taken the chance to take a good look at it. I too agree with the comments of d-cosner, The Ubuntu developers have been working on better quality control and I believe they are on track to a super great product. This in mind we can be the ones to turn the tables and create a better and less costly computer world thus creating jobs for the ones who want the work. If you become the self starter and market the Linux world to the workplace you may find you have landed the job you want. I owned a computer shop in Osawatomie, Kansas and introduced it to some of my clients and they went for it, mainly for the no cost requirement of getting started. I also introduced it to some of my friends and family as well and they took to it quit nicely. Just get more people exposed to it and you will possibly get what you want out of it.

Beans

You had a look at jobs in banks? I know I've seen quite a few jobs over here working with linux though a lot of them need a few extra skillsets in programming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast