Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Realtek RTL8188EE, Toshiba Satellite C55-A5300, Ubuntu 12.04: No Wifi Connection

Beans

Realtek RTL8188EE, Toshiba Satellite C55-A5300, Ubuntu 12.04: No Wifi Connection

I've just purchased a Toshiba Satellite C55-A5300 Laptop which came with Win8 preinstalled. I've set up a dual boot with Ubuntu 12.04 and everything is working wonderfully. With the single exception that there is no wireless internet connectivity, no wifi. In the options for connecting in the drop-down menu at the upper right corner of the screen, wireless is not even listed there. The laptop has Wi-Fi Wireless networking (802.11b/g/n), so it should work just fine. I have searched on the internet and found that there are quite a number of reports of others having the same problem with this Toshiba laptop and Ubuntu. But I could not locate the solution! I am really hoping someone either knows the solution and can let me know, or is better than me at finding the solution on the web.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Toshiba Satellite C55-A5300 Laptop, Ubuntu 12.04: No Wifi Connection

Please try to find out what wifi chip there is in you computer. You might find it with

Code:
     sudo lshw
    or hardinfo. It is fairly easy to find lists at the internet, that describe how well wifi chips cooperate with linux.

It might work better with the newest version 13.10. Try running a live session.

Beans

I am giving this computer to a friend who is a complete newbie to computers what to speak of linux. I want him to have a LTS OS so he doesn't have to make changes any time soon. Here is the hardware:

Code:
               *-network
                    description: Ethernet interface
                    product: AR8162 Fast Ethernet
                    vendor: Qualcomm Atheros
                    physical id: 0
                    bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
                    logical name: eth0
                    version: 10
                    serial: 00:8c:fa:6c:38:21
                    capacity: 100Mbit/s
                    width: 64 bits
                    clock: 33MHz
                    capabilities: pm pciexpress msi msix bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
                    configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=alx driverversion=1.2.3 firmware=N/A latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair
                    resources: irq:16 memory:c8500000-c853ffff ioport:3000(size=128)
    And

Code:
               *-network UNCLAIMED
                    description: Network controller
                    product: RTL8188EE Wireless Network Adapter
                    vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
                    physical id: 0
                    bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
                    version: 01
                    width: 64 bits
                    clock: 33MHz
                    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
                    configuration: latency=0
                    resources: ioport:2000(size=256) memory:c8400000-c8403fff
    So I think what I've got for wireless is this:

product: RTL8188EE Wireless Network Adapter
    vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.

And I had seen that listed around the internet. But seeing that there were issues, and finding the solution are two different things. There must be a solution for this product with Ubuntu 12.04, don't you think?

Beans

Would the solution offered on this link help me?

And what about this link. Here it looks like a solution worked-- but I couldn't tell whether ultimately they got it working with 12.04, or whether they never did and had to go with 13.10 instead.
    Last edited by swarup; January 1st, 2014 at 05:22 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

It seems you need to compile the driver. This guy did it with some help http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2196520

So it should be possible for you too, but far from easy.

Beans
    Hidden!

I can't tell which of the links is the best one. But there seems to be solutions anyway.

Beans

I was hoping to give my newbie friend a long-term OS rather one for just nine months. But I need a solution for this wireless that is going to be fairly quick and straightforward for me to do. If it is going to be difficult, then I'd sooner do a fresh install of 13.10, which people report works perfectly. What do you think? Is it going to be a real struggle to get 12.04 working with wireless? If so, then I'll just have to give him the 9 month product to work with. Here is a post where someone was recommended to switch from 12.04 to 13.10, and it work out perfectly.

Beans
    Hidden!

Well, you can read the dialogue of the link I gave you. If you think you can do it, go ahead, otherwise go for 13.10 and hope it will be easy to upgrade to 14.04, which will be an LTS release.

Beans

That link was very interesting. And they did get it working. But at the very end the one giving guidance wrote the following:

You will have compiled the driver for your currently running kernel only. When Update Manager installs a later linux-image, after reboot, re-compile:
    I could never leave my newbie friend having to recompile every time the kernel gets updated. If that is the only option, then I'll have to go with 13.10.

Beans
    Hidden!

I think you are right, good luck with 13.10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast