Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could not write bytes broken pipe error out of nowhere

Beans

Could not write bytes broken pipe error out of nowhere

I've already read the other posts and they're mostly talking about nvidia drivers and it's not helping. I am new to Ubuntu and basically what happens is it boots to bios loads the purple screen once and then "could not ...". I am posting this from an old iPad and am in great need of assistance I can't access any graphical applications and get it in to check stuff. I can get to recovery mode and booting in fail safe graphics mode just blacks out and resets the recovery mode page. I did fix broken packages and sudo rm .Xauthority. I can get into a TTY shell command prompt, and got a warning when I tried to gksudo jockey-gtk . I don't know how to get into my system to post more about what exactly is wrong with it... I can boot Ubuntu from a USB but for some reason the wireless is not working at all... Perhaps this is tied to the problem? This sucks . I know it is new years. I could really use some help. Thank you.
    Last edited by shahan3.14; January 1st, 2014 at 08:40 PM.

Beans

Re: Could not write bytes broken pipe error out of nowhere

Hello and welcome to the forums

Can you tell us some more about your graphics hardware? You can use the 'lshw' command in a terminal

Code:
    lshw -C display
    No need to copy it all - the important parts are the product and the driver e.g.

Code:
    $ lshw -C display
    WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
      *-display               
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: G84GLM [Quadro FX 570M]
           vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
           version: a1
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
           configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
           resources: irq:16 memory:d6000000-d6ffffff memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:d4000000-d5ffffff ioport:2000(size=128)
    For your account issues you should start a separate thread in the 'Resolution Center' subforum

Beans

Okay, thank you, I am able to run pastebinit from the TTY of my laptop. So for lshw -C display it is http://paste.ubuntu.com/6674648/

And the dmesg http://paste.ubuntu.com/6674701/

So from the lshw... "UNCLAIMED" uh doesn't look good. Still posting from this old iPad thank you for the help!
    Last edited by shahan3.14; January 1st, 2014 at 08:48 PM.

Beans

Does the system have hybrid graphics? did you blacklist the intel graphics driver at some point?

Any hardware specs / model number you can give us?

Beans

I don't think it is hybrid. And no I don't remember blacklisting anything on purpose. It is a dell Inspiron n5010. I believe the graphics card is "intel (R) HD graphics". It's an intel core i3. CPU is 64 bits. I'm currently on the broken pipe laptop with a USB and Ubuntu is running but again the Internet is not working for some reason. Do you need more information? The model number is "reg. model: P10F"

Beans

when you're booting it from the USB what driver does it report (using lshw again, or 'lspci -vnn | grep -A10 VGA')? is it i915?

Beans

Yes under "configuration: driver=i915 latency=0". And then for the lspci it says "Kernel driver in use: i915". And "Kernel modules: i915"

Beans

I'm going to have to clean install and see if that fixes it. Will post back soon.

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't know if this will help at all or not, but here goes:

There used to be a boot option of i915.modeset=0 or i915.modeset=1. I believe the 0 turns it off and the 1 turns it on. This used to be seperate from the nomodeset option, but I really don't know if nomodeset covers it all now.

EDIT: This is a boot parameter to turn kernel mode setting on/off for the video. You may want to try it if you haven't started your reinstall yet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by squakie View Post
    I don't know if this will help at all or not, but here goes:

There used to be a boot option of i915.modeset=0 or i915.modeset=1. I believe the 0 turns it off and the 1 turns it on. This used to be seperate from the nomodeset option, but I really don't know if nomodeset covers it all now.

EDIT: This is a boot parameter to turn kernel mode setting on/off for the video. You may want to try it if you haven't started your reinstall yet.
    Thank you but the clean install seems to have fixed it, I will save this for later just in case. Thank you all for your help

How should I mark this post?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast