Thread: Won't Detect USB

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Won't Detect USB

Computer: Acer Aspire M5-583P-6428
    Problem: I have Ubuntu installed fine on my computer, nothing else. But on USB I have Windows 7 Ultimate which I want. But my computer won't detect the USB and won't install Windows but on another computer USB works fine. I did a GRUB update but no luck.

Laptop has no CD insert place.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Won't Detect USB

There can be many causes for your problem. Start by reading the following wiki page (particularly the chapter 'Prerequisites' and 'Booting the Computer from USB')

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick

and come back for further questions/comments/tips/discussion

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Well, I have Ubuntu I'm trying to install WINDOWS. But what I'm saying is that the computer isn't detecting my USB at all. Other computers are, why? Other Windows computers detect a flash drive that has windows on it. My laptop that now has Ubuntu on it won't detect flash drive that has Windows on it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Some possible reasons are explained in that wiki page.

- What pendrive is it (brand name, model)?

- Have you tried to change the settings in the uefi/bios menu system, to give priority to booting from USB or making the USB drive the first 'hard disk drive'?

- Can you try with another pendrive? Sometimes a certain pendrive will not cooperate with a certain computer (mobo or USB system). I have recent experience of that problem (helping my brother during Christmas).
    Last edited by sudodus; December 29th, 2013 at 11:38 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

In your particular case there is also the '40_custom' method, because you have a working linux system with a grub menu. See this link for a background about grub

Scripts: /etc/grub.d/

Add the following text to the file 40_custom (notice that it is important to leave the first lines, that come with the file)

Code:
    menuentry "External drive (on hd1) if no eSATA drive connected. edit if necessary" {
            insmod part_msdos
            insmod fat
            set root='(hd1)'
            drivemap -s (hd0) ${root}
            chainloader +1
    }
    and run the command

Code:
    sudo update-grub

Then you will get a grub menu option to boot from a second drive (hd1), which could be a USB pendrive. If another drive is hd1, you can edit the line to (hd2) etc.
    Last edited by sudodus; December 30th, 2013 at 12:06 AM. Reason: indentation of code