Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Browsers on Ubuntu 14.o4 betas

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yaffo
    Beans
    114
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Question Browsers on Ubuntu 14.o4 betas

    This is Opera just now
    trying firefox
    chromium
    any known issues?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona USA
    Beans
    2,989
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Browsers on Ubuntu 14.o4 betas

    I run all three, depending on the situation, and yes, they all have known issues.

    By far, my favorite is Chromium. I mostly run raw trunk builds of Chromium. Let's see...


    Currently (a couple of days old):
    Code:
    Chromium	34.0.1762.0 (Developer Build 242590) 
    OS	Linux 
    Blink	537.36 (@164345)
    JavaScript	V8 3.24.7
    Flash	11.2 r202
    User Agent	Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/34.0.1762.0 Safari/537.36
    Command Line	 /home/vindsl/.chrome-linux/chrome --disable-setuid-sandbox --user-data-dir=/home/vindsl/.config/chromium-canary --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end
    Executable Path	/home/vindsl/.chrome-linux/chrome
    Profile Path	/home/vindsl/.config/chromium-canary/Default
    Variations [...]

    If you WANT issues (like I do) this is the buggiest version known to man. Highly recommended, for trouble!

    Download: https://download-chromium.appspot.com/

    If you don't want lots of issues, just use the stable version, in the PPA.


    Personally, I can't wait for the Maxthon Cloud Browser Alpha to be released for Linux (it won't be long).







    But, you didn't ask about that...
    Last edited by VinDSL; December 29th, 2013 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Addendum
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    ExodusHair<Čubura
    Beans
    4,482
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Browsers on Ubuntu 14.o4 betas

    Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    I run all three, depending on the situation, and yes, they all have known issues.

    By far, my favorite is Chromium. I mostly run raw trunk builds of Chromium. Let's see...


    Currently (a couple of days old):
    Code:
    Chromium    34.0.1762.0 (Developer Build 242590) 
    OS    Linux 
    Blink    537.36 (@164345)
    JavaScript    V8 3.24.7
    Flash    11.2 r202
    User Agent    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/34.0.1762.0 Safari/537.36
    Command Line     /home/vindsl/.chrome-linux/chrome --disable-setuid-sandbox --user-data-dir=/home/vindsl/.config/chromium-canary --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end
    Executable Path    /home/vindsl/.chrome-linux/chrome
    Profile Path    /home/vindsl/.config/chromium-canary/Default
    Variations [...]

    If you WANT issues (like I do) this is the buggiest version known to man. Highly recommended, for trouble!

    Download: https://download-chromium.appspot.com/

    If you don't want lots of issues, just use the stable version, in the PPA.


    Personally, I can't wait for the Maxthon Cloud Browser Alpha to be released for Linux (it won't be long).









    But, you didn't ask about that...
    I always wanted to know who is the second guy (beside me) who uses AppSpot Chromium... Now I know...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    11,522

    Re: Browsers on Ubuntu 14.o4 betas

    I've been wondering about Opera. Anyone have the straight story?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona USA
    Beans
    2,989
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Browsers on Ubuntu 14.o4 betas

    Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I've been wondering about Opera. Anyone have the straight story?
    I seriously doubt it. The devs are 'holding the cards close to their chests'.

    It seems like everyone is forking Chromium, these days, because it works so well across all sorts of different devices. That way, regardless of what device you're using -- you're met with a familiar UI. That's what Opera is trying to do too.

    It's the holy grail of browser development, with a pot of gold waiting at the end of the rainbow, for anyone that can figure out how to sway ppl to their honeypot, e.g. sign-up for their Cloud Services, so called.

    The thing is, Opera fanbois are used to, and expect, lots of classic Opera features that simply don't exist in any other browser. Anything the devs cobble together is going to be measured against Opera 12.

    Rumor has it that adding ALL of these classic Opera features to Chromium will be impossible, so the result will be a compromise.

    I've also read that 'they' are continuing to develop Opera 12, in case the Chromium product doesn't sell (literally).

    Have you heard anything?!?!? I'm all ears...
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona USA
    Beans
    2,989
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Browsers on Ubuntu 14.o4 betas

    Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    I always wanted to know who is the second guy (beside me) who uses AppSpot Chromium... Now I know...
    Heh! I wish I could make that 'API' message go away. Do you get that, at startup?

    I actually went over and generated a Chromium Project containing various APIs, generated a key, installed it, and all that nonsense. And, I'm STILL getting the message at startup.

    Oh, the joys of testing...
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Pair a dice
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Browsers on Ubuntu 14.o4 betas

    I have installed Chromium stable and use it a lot. Also installed Opera stable via this page I believe: http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/opera

    Code:
    cavsfan@cavsfan-MS-7529:~$ apt-cache policy opera
    opera:
      Installed: 12.16.1860
      Candidate: 12.16.1860
      Version table:
     *** 12.16.1860 0
            500 http://deb.opera.com/opera/ stable/non-free amd64 Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    I use Firefox some; got rid of NoScript as it's a pain most of the time and installed Ghostery and WOT. Same thing on Chromium.

    I use Opera with no addons except WOT to see sites that the other 2 won't show due to the addons.
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.84Ghz. 4.0GB DDR2 RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GT

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    ExodusHair<Čubura
    Beans
    4,482
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Browsers on Ubuntu 14.o4 betas

    Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    Heh! I wish I could make that 'API' message go away. Do you get that, at startup?

    I actually went over and generated a Chromium Project containing various APIs, generated a key, installed it, and all that nonsense. And, I'm STILL getting the message at startup.

    Oh, the joys of testing...
    Yes, message is there but it does not bother me at all... It does cripples Chromium in certain ways but I do not care...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Yorkshire. England
    Beans
    206
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Browsers on Ubuntu 14.o4 betas


    VinDSL's Avatar
    VinDSL - Just foud this have you tried it yet
    - was posted 7 Jan 2014 on http://forum.maxthon.com/thread-7544-1-1.html

    Hi guys,

    First Linux Beta for 2014 is available for you to download.

    In this Beta, we have fixed a few crashes and bugs, and made some minor change.

    Couldn't wait for you guys to try it.^_^

    Downloads for 32-bit:

    http://dl.maxthon.com/mx_linux/packa....0.31_i386.deb
    MD5: ad5d8c266625aae06bc3d53f14cb2e7a

    http://dl.maxthon.com/mx_linux/packa....0.31-i386.rpm
    MD5: 9369266d30c9046aca4eebd8e6bda8db
    - See more at: http://forum.maxthon.com/thread-7544....2D1TvMP6.dpuf
    Last edited by inearlygaveup; January 18th, 2014 at 03:47 PM. Reason: wrong quote
    Martin
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona USA
    Beans
    2,989
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Browsers on Ubuntu 14.o4 betas

    Quote Originally Posted by inearlygaveup View Post

    VinDSL's Avatar
    VinDSL - Just foud this have you tried it yet
    - was posted 7 Jan 2014 on http://forum.maxthon.com/thread-7544-1-1.html
    Yes, I've been testing it on Peppermint Four Re-Spin OS (Lubuntu fork). Works great!

    It's just a rough alpha, at this point.

    They've made some major changes to the 'Customize & Control' menu, but otherwise it still looks n' feels like Chrome/Chromium.




    The coup d'état is going to be when they install their cloud add-ons: 'Cloud Push'. 'Cloud Sync', 'Cloud Download', 'Split Screen', and so forth.

    Haven't installed it in Ubu 14.04 yet. I need to do a fresh install, but I'm sure it will work...
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •