Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: I'm Baaaack in Development (14.04)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: I'm Baaaack in Development (14.04)

Thanks all...i am always a bit chicken about doing these technical kind of things (especially since 14.04 development is the ONLY system i am running)

I checked out phillinux's link also and appreciate it...

Might just wait on this....i think there is always a possibility it may get straightened out on the next kernel version update...and if not then, when 14.04 goes final i plan to use the re-install with carrying over your stuff option that i can use on the 14.04 final iso (as i did with 13.10 development when that went final)....i had observed when i did it then, that the installer cleared out most of the kernel updates (there was about 7 or 8) and only left me with the current and previous one...so it might correct the grub thing at that time too...

d-cosner is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Cleaning out the old kernels will not break anything. Since you are running with the current kernel you no longer need the old kernels. Cleaning up the old kernels will get grub to behave like you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Just to add: I have grub behaving like user that posted a question wants and I do have a solid number of kernels installed... So, keeping just one kernel is not solution and surely not a good advice especially in U+1...

Beans

Actually there is no reason to keep old kernels unless you are having hardware issues. Download the current daily build, how many kernels are installed on it?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by d-cosner View Post
    Actually there is no reason to keep old kernels unless you are having hardware issues. Download the current daily build, how many kernels are installed on it?
    I'm just giving advice from a bit of experience... You do not have to accept it... Problems with kernels are not only HW-related... Just my .0002¢... Calm testing periods have dulled (re)cognition of possible troubles...
    Last edited by zika; January 25th, 2014 at 11:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Maybe i should hold off for a while then and see if it gets corrected by some updates (particularly a kernel change)...i guess i could always try it at a later date...

Beans
    Distro

I get rid of old kernels as long as the latest one boots up and the machine runs as expected.

Beans
    Distro

Here we have two thing that are getting mixed:
    1. Grub can be „hidden“ with even more than 100 kernels installed
    2. I never like to have only one kernel on install...
    ad. 1.: that can be achieved relatively easily and I gave way how...
    ad. 2.: that is only my .0002¢, as I already wrote, a.k.a. advice that could be disregarded easily...

Beans

I try and keep my development install exactly the same as the current daily build. Yes, you can hide the grub screen and there can be circumstances where a person might want to keep an extra kernel around for a while. By keeping things cleaned up I never have to wonder if a particular bug is only effecting my install. I clean up residual config files and installed locally or obsolete packages too, I mark these for complete removal.

I would keep an older kernel if I had problems with the current one, otherwise it is just cluttering up the system.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456