Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Updated to 12.04 and no audio

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Updated to 12.04 and no audio

There is a trick of trying various Alsa options for the specific codec and notebook brand, which in your case are SigmaTel STAC9228 and Dell respectively. Here are the options for STAC9228 according to this page:
    Code:
    STAC9227/9228/9229/927x
     312=======================
     313  ref           Reference board
     314  ref-no-jd     Reference board without HP/Mic jack detection
     315  3stack        D965 3stack
     316  5stack        D965 5stack + SPDIF
     317  5stack-no-fp  D965 5stack without front panel
     318  dell-3stack   Dell Dimension E520
     319  dell-bios     Fixes with Dell BIOS setup
     320  volknob       Fixes with volume-knob widget 0x24
     321  auto          BIOS setup (default)
    To apply, for example, the first option, run gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf, and add the options snd-hda-intel model=ref line to the bottom, then save and exit. At this stage, you usually need to reboot to check the effect. Make sure nothing is muted after rebooting. If the 'ref' option doesn't work, try dell-3stac or dell-bios instead.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Wow, all this and OP still hasn't found the Pulseaudio Volume Control ...

Beans

So the audio has been solved by going to F6 in alsamixer and changing to HDA Intel. It's working now at least on internet and other video files.

The only problem now is, using programs like K9 copy and K3b, I can't burn with audio -- the video burnt fine, but no audio. I backed up the same (home movie) DVD using DVD Shrink in Windows and audio was fine. And K9 and K3b worked fine in Ubuntu 8.04. So not sure if that audio problem is related, or if I need to repost in a software forum?

Also, since audio's working now on internet and other video on computer, could this solve the program audio problem?:
    run gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf, and add the options snd-hda-intel model=ref l

I would be willing to do a fresh install, but again, my Ubuntu/install skills are limited and I'm having trouble figuring out how to install from CD (and/or it seems very time consuming to figure out the boot stuff, and I don't want to mess anything up further since I seem so close to getting it working)...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

AFAIK, alsa options have nothing to do with anything other then ALSA. In other words, not, modifying alsa-base.conf will not affect K9 and K3B.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12