Thread: Hoopladigital.com using wine

Beans

Hoopladigital.com using wine

Start using hoopla digital today to begin borrowing free digital video, music and audiobooks with your library card.

Follow the directions on http://www.iheartubuntu.com/2012/11/...sktop-app.html

Next go to Menu and open "Netflix Desktop" This will do some installations.

--

Now install "Wine" through the Software Manager or Package Manager.

From Menu open "Configure Wine" and close

Open file manager - press Ctrl H, (Press F3 for double screen) and copy .wine-browser and paste to .wine (merge, replace) - Then copy .wine and paste to .wine-browser (we do this to get "Wine Windows Program Loader")

---

Now download Flashplayer http://download.macromedia.com/pub/f...70_archive.zip

open File Manger go to Downloads and move file "fp_11.9.900.170_archive.zip" to /.wine-browser/drive_c/Program Files/ - right click and click "Extract Here" - go to extracted file and open "flashplayer11_9r900_170_win.exe" with "Wine Windows Program Loader" (best to open with "Other Application" and choose "Wine Windows Program Loader" This will allow all wine programs to open automatically from now on.

----

from the file manager go to home/.wine-browser/drive_c/Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/firefox.exe - right click - Open With - Wine Windows Program Loader
    (Ctrl h for hidden files )

with Firefox open go to download. Close Firefox.

----

Open Firefox from /home (this is the name of your computer) /beast/.wine-browser/drive_c/Program Files/Mozilla Firefox.

Goto http://hoopladigital.com Sign in

find something you want to watch.

Press Play

Install Plugin - Widevine * Press "Allow" top left * then press "Install" * Then press Restart or close and reopen your browser - (if it says install Flash you need to do the above first). Restart browser.

To check what is installed go to "Tools - Ad-ons - Plugins

Shockwave Flash (for Hoopla)
    Silverlight Plug-In (for netflix)
    Widevine Media Optimizer (for Hoopla)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Hoopladigital.com using wine

Bravo (or 'Brava' as the case may be)! Brilliant! Thank you.
    Dell Optiplex GX760 Intel Core 2 Duo 8400 3.00GHz 4GB RAM Linux User 498777 - Ubuntu User 29378

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Hoopladigital.com using wine

Thanks for the tip! It looks like in the year since the above answer was posted, it has become much easier to get hoopla working. Just install pipelight and then run

Code:
    sudo pipelight-plugin --enable widevine
    Voila, free movies streaming from your local public library! (I'm watching the silent masterpiece CALL OF CTHULHU as I type this and it's working great.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hackerb92 View Post
    Thanks for the tip! It looks like in the year since the above answer was posted, it has become much easier to get hoopla working. Just install pipelight and then run

Code:
    sudo pipelight-plugin --enable widevine
    Voila, free movies streaming from your local public library! (I'm watching the silent masterpiece CALL OF CTHULHU as I type this and it's working great.)
    Thanks for this. I followed the pipelight instructions above, successfully I think. Unfortunately, Hoopla required installation of Adobe Flash--I complied but Hoopla still displays the 'missing plugin' (Adobe Flash) error message and won't play. Reviewing the comments in Ubuntu Software Center, this appears to be a common problem.

Thanks again for your time just the same.
    Dell Optiplex GX760 Intel Core 2 Duo 8400 3.00GHz 4GB RAM Linux User 498777 - Ubuntu User 29378

Beans
    Hidden!

I like Firefox too, but is all that work worth it when it works with no extra setup in Chrome/Chromium browser?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by NoBugs! View Post
    I like Firefox too, but is all that work worth it when it works with no extra setup in Chrome/Chromium browser?
    A fair question. If I knew how to 'sandbox' Chrome, I might try it; but I don't trust Google enough to use their search engine without TOR (or Ixquick proxy), much less trust my OS and files to their browser--call me paranoid. Thanks for your time and attention.