Thread: Best set up to game on linux for a budget?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Best set up to game on linux for a budget?

hello all i want to know the best set up with my current specs i was thinking about a Nvidia geforce gt640 or a little better but i dont really know...that's why im here. i dont want to upgrade the socket type and my ram is maxed out so what Graphics card would be a good combo woth my CPU which im willing ti upgrade and get decent Frames on games like Half life 2 and Maybe GTA 4 etc.....i dont want Radeon because people constantly downvote the drivers for ubuntu so any thoughts would be great thanks....im trying to keep it bellow a $100
    These are my computers Specifications:
    MOTHERBOARD:ECS 945GCT-M3 (revision 3.0) CPU:Intel Celeron D 3.45Ghz RAM:2GB DDR2 RAM HDD:80GB (ubuntu) HDD 120GB (Windows) HDD GRAPHICS:Intel 945g Express Chipset Family AUDIO:C-Media PCI audio device

Beans

Re: Best set up to game on linux for a budget?

Quote Originally Posted by crazymonkey05 View Post
    hello all i want to know the best set up with my current specs i was thinking about a Nvidia geforce gt640 or a little better but i dont really know...that's why im here. i dont want to upgrade the socket type and my ram is maxed out so what Graphics card would be a good combo woth my CPU which im willing ti upgrade and get decent Frames on games like Half life 2 and Maybe GTA 4 etc.....i dont want Radeon because people constantly downvote the drivers for ubuntu so any thoughts would be great thanks....im trying to keep it bellow a $100
    I think you are gonna need a new{er} computer.

http://support.rockstargames.com/hc/...nts-for-GTA-IV
    Recommended:

• Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz, AMD Phenom X3 2.1Ghz
    • Memory: 2GB (Windows XP) 2.5GB (Windows Vista)
    • Free Hard Drive Space: 18GB
    • Video Card: 512MB NVIDIA 8600 / 512MB ATI 3870
    • DirectX 9 compatible Surround Sound Card
    • Keyboard

• Mouse

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Definitely time for a new computer. that CPU won't let a newer GPU stretch it's legs in most games, (as frame rate can be tied to how fast the game's engine runs on the CPU), and there's no point in upgrading the CPU on that motherboard.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ranko Kohime View Post
    ...and there's no point in upgrading the CPU on that motherboard.
    +1

I was gonna suggest he gets a late model socket 775 quad core cpu but that motherboard won't even support earlier models from what I could find on the manufacturers website.

He really has no options here, he could buy a new GPU but it would be bottlenecked by the CPU. Also many new games are starting to take advantage of quad core + cpu's. BF4 being one example.

It's time for a new MB, CPU, GPU & RAM unfortunately.
    Last edited by mips; December 27th, 2013 at 08:15 PM.

Beans

A GT640 is not that incredibly powerful of a card, usually to get the best price to performance ratio you want to buy more mid range. But the real issue you have is the CPU and RAM. DDR3 is kinda a requirement for newer games. Sorry mate, but for a 100 bucks the best you could is an APU system, which would not be that great. You could still play older games however. Half Life 1 and 2 aren't very demanding, and neither is one of my all time favorite games, System Shock 2. In-fact you could probably play it right now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

thanks you everyone i know this PC is old and outdated but im trying to get the best out of it till i can upgrade to a new MOBO
    These are my computers Specifications:
    MOTHERBOARD:ECS 945GCT-M3 (revision 3.0) CPU:Intel Celeron D 3.45Ghz RAM:2GB DDR2 RAM HDD:80GB (ubuntu) HDD 120GB (Windows) HDD GRAPHICS:Intel 945g Express Chipset Family AUDIO:C-Media PCI audio device

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

if you want anything better than the built in intel graphics than i wouldn't spend more than $50 just to settle until you can upgrade your mobo and everything else. something on this page would get you better graphics than the intel 945g.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e%208%20series