Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows (8.1) Boot Manager Not Letting Me Boot Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

Unable to boot 12.04 without mucking about in grub rescue/Windows won't work either

Installed 12.04 via USB (side-by-side windows 8.1) on my new HP 2000 Windows 8 laptop after upgrading to Windows 8.1. Had issues with windows boot loader and grub so I spent yesterday trying to make my Ubuntu boot smoothly. I am somewhat of a noob (total noob when in comes to dual-boot), so I bumbled around and seem to have screwed things up......This is the point I'm at now:

when I turn on my machine, it takes me immediately to grub rescue. I am able to boot Ubuntu by using the following command sequence:

root=(hd0,gpt7)
    prefix=(hd0,gpt7)/boot/grub
    insmod normal
    normal

That takes me to the Grub screen. Once at the grub screen, all I can do is boot ubuntu. When I try to boot windows, I get the following message:

error: unknown command "drivemap".
    error: invalid EFI file path.

I tried fixing grub in the terminal using the following commands:

sudo update-grub
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda

The update installs but does not solve the problem. Also, every time I boot my machine, I have to go through the whole grub rescue insmod mess to get to grub and launch Ubuntu. I need help getting Windows to work as well as not having to go through grub rescue every time I use my computer. Assisstance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

UPDATE: Tried Boot-repair disc using reccommended settings to no avail
    Last edited by inthefold; December 28th, 2013 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Tried Boot-repair

Beans

Re: Windows (8.1) Boot Manager Not Letting Me Boot Ubuntu 12.04

Hey oldfred, thanks for the advice. I've got some deeper issues now lol. If you've got the time and mind to do so, please check out my other thread and let me know what you think. Thanks a bunch! http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12884545

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Threads merged.

Your threads have been merged. While not an exact duplicate it is an extension of this issue where you are getting plenty of help already.

Beans

Ok thanks. Just thought it didn't exactly fit in the absolute beginners section.

Beans

@Bucky Ball.....any advice on this issue?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Yes, install 13.10 as advised. This thread was never resolved/solved, and the next problem you have posted, which has been merged with this thread, is basically a variation on a theme and a continuation of this issue as a result of what you have tried of the advice here.

The last advice you were given here was to install 13.10 and see if that works with newer hardware. From what I can see that has been ignored. Try that and report back.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; December 28th, 2013 at 03:33 AM.

Beans

Was attempting to upgrade but got stuck when I had to restart. Booted back directly to grub rescue and attempted the
    previous process of running normal.mod to get to the grub screen. However none of my .mod files were in the same place.
    I had to dig around and finally found them buried in (hd0,gpt7)/usr/lib/grub/x86_64-efi/ with normal.mod at the top of the list. I typed the following: insmod (hd0,gpt7)/usr/lib/grub/x86_64-efi/normal.mod and got the following message: error: symbol not found: 'grub_disk_dev_list'. Now I'm completely stuck and having to access the forum via smartphone. Need help! Lol. Thanks guys!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Upgrade or clean install? There's a difference, but as you couldn't get to a desktop or install in the first place, I'll assume you booted from a disk and attempted to install Ubuntu 13.10 (and yes, as oldfred mentioned, you can go directly from that to 14.04 LTS, supported for the next five years ... or you can go directly from LTS to LTS, 12.04 to 14.04 directly, leap frogging the interim releases in between, so six of one, half a dozen of the other, but it appears the 12.04 install was a disaster so 13.10, nothing lost).

From a disk you are trying to install 13.10???

Beans

It was an upgrade. I was able to access my desktop before the attempted upgrade. I'm assuming that I would have to use a separate machine to create a disk. However, how do I get my laptop to boot from a disk or USB when all it does is go into grub rescue when I turn it on?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You hit whatever key is necessary when you boot the machine to get to your BIOS and change the boot order to boot from optical drive or USB. F12 sometimes works to get to a boot device screen, depends on the machine. To get to the BIOS you could try hitting delete, backspace, F1, F2, but if you have a manual that should tell you the correct key. Pretty much straight after you turn the machine on.

So, just for clarity and apologies, you were upgrading from what to what? 12.04 LTS to 12.10, as that is the only upgrade route from there?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast