Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driver questions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Driver questions

I have an asus eah5770. I have no issues building the driver from ATI. What i want to know is if its possible to take my asus specific driver (it worked better than the ones from ati and obviously it was customized for the card) and smart doctor (monitoring tempurature, controlling fan speeds, etc.) and convert it to ubuntu, or would i be better off using the ati driver i assembled and finding a smartdoctor ubuntu equivalent? And if so any suggestions on one? Thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Driver questions

UPDATE: I had no trouble building the driver but frankly its garbage. I get a black screen after login, and after a few tries i just removed all the flgrx stuff with the terminal and called it a day. While i would like the card specific drivers and software im beginning to think thats not going to happen so any suggestions on a smartdoctor alternative?

Beans

Sell it and get a nvidia card. I know I'm not helping but when it comes to linux & ati I have very little faith.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hello!

I'm not sure what you mean by "building the driver from ATI", since the ATI driver is a proprietary, closed source binary package. You can install it from the repo, build a .deb from the ATI installer to install it or install it directly using ATI's installer package. But you can't build the driver.

You can build the open source Radeon driver if you want I suppose, but I don't know why you'd bother since it is already installed by default when you install Ubuntu.

Could you tell us exactly what you did?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Sell it and get a nvidia card. I know I'm not helping but when it comes to linux & ati I have very little faith.
    mips, i agree completely. I bought my parts as a barebones kit and i have always preferred Nvidia over ATI. Looking into buying a Titan soon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Hello!

I'm not sure what you mean by "building the driver from ATI", since the ATI driver is a proprietary, closed source binary package. You can install it from the repo, build a .deb from the ATI installer to install it or install it directly using ATI's installer package. But you can't build the driver.

You can build the open source Radeon driver if you want I suppose, but I don't know why you'd bother since it is already installed by default when you install Ubuntu.

Could you tell us exactly what you did?
    QIII, i was referring to building the .deb. I installed all the dependencies and built it with no error messages whatsoever, and after rebooting i get a black screen of death after login. Honestly, the card is garbage since even with the drivers from ASUS it still has issues on my win7 install, and they stopped supporting it before half of those issues were resolved. Therefore, i think ill just use the open source driver until i can get my hands on a nice new Nvidia card. Thanks anyways though

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

have you tried the AMD Catalyst 13.12 driver? I used it with the HD5750 and now the HD7770 black edition. There's nothing to build, you simply run the .run installer file as root.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    have you tried the AMD Catalyst 13.12 driver? I used it with the HD5750 and now the HD7770 black edition. There's nothing to build, you simply run the .run installer file as root.
    That is the driver im talking about... honestly i think the card is just garbage but ill give that a shot when i get back to my desktop and let you know how it goes

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by sjackling View Post
    That is the driver im talking about... honestly i think the card is just garbage but ill give that a shot when i get back to my desktop and let you know how it goes
    it is paramount that you properly uninstall any previous fglrx driver first. there's a thread that i wrote about my experience with going from the older AMD driver to a newer one, i would suggest reading the last few posts in it because I documented what worked for me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Heres what happens. In the terminal i type "sudo amd-catalyst-13.12-linux-x86.x86_64.run --Buildpkg Ubuntu/saucy", which builds the .deb files fine, no issues. Then i type "sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb" which returns this error (its the only one); "Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 3.11.0-14-generic (x86_64) Consult /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/13.251/build/make.log for more information." make.log.txt and to me being a noob to linux thats all gibberish
    MSI GE72VR 6RF | i7-6700HQ | NVIDIA GTX 1060 | 32GB DDR4 | 512GB SSD | 2TB SSHD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast