Thread: I can not create or customize Live CD so I have to install to my HDD. What can I do?

Beans

I can not create or customize Live CD so I have to install to my HDD. What can I do?

I want to create and customize a Live CD for a sensitive task. Ubuntu Customization Kit freezes after some time from the installation live CD (using UCF after "Try Ubuntu" selection). So I have no way to customize a new live CD.

So I guess I have to install Ubuntu to the HDD. Why I did not want this before was the reason that I will use Ubuntu for a very sensitive Financial task that is irreversible (something like Bitcoin) if something goes wrong, such as a virus. My main preference is a live CD. And I have to add the software Electrum to it.

Is there any way I can customize and create a new live CD with the official tools?

Otherwise - if I install as a second OS to my HDD, is there any risk that a virus from the normal OS spread to Ubuntu? (call it as a smart virus attempting to find Linux installations and spread itself there). Is there such a risk - and what can I do to avoid it? I heard HDD encrytpion etc in Linux OS. Is that sufficient? Or what other precautions should I take?

Most favorably, I would rather prefer to customize a live CD.

What would you suggest me to do in order to make the most riskless transaction I can make?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: I can not create or customize Live CD so I have to install to my HDD. What can I

First, did you check the checksum on the Customization Kit that you downloaded? Second, did you set your burner to the slowest speed and then check the checksum after burning? It's possible that you had a bad burn and that would be consistent with freezing.

Any time you have two OS's sharing a hard disk, there is a risk of contamination. It's more likely that a boot sector virus would take out your boot capability, but that is generally fixable. I am not aware of any current threats that cross partitions, but I prefer to live in ignorance.

Mark Twain said: "Put all of your eggs in one basket. And watch that basket!"
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Re: I can not create or customize Live CD so I have to install to my HDD. What can I

Thanks for the reply...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Good evening

Is there any reason why you cannot:-

Install Ubuntu to a USB stick, i.e acting as a second drive.
    Add your special software.
    Save your new installation on the USB stick
    Remove your internal HDD to avoid compromise.
    Boot Ubuntu from the USB device and run the "sensitive Financial task"

Beans

Good advice. Appreciated. However, I prefer Live CD over USB because it can not be modified. Taking your suggestion, is it possible to install to USB, add software etc. / customize, then is it possible to extract the iso of the USB and burn to a DVD?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Yes, it is possible.

I used to use Remastersys to produce an ISO but it is no longer being developed.

Unfortunately, I do not have an alternative that can offer the ease of use of Remastersys.

Hopefully, someone can step in and offer another method of producing an ISO for you.