Thread: URL Censoring?

Beans

URL Censoring?

I just tried to paste a url in this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2195568 in order to help the person out but it got censored with asterisk characters?

Here is a tinyurl preview link for the site http://preview.tinyurl.com/kw945p9

This is what happens when I post the actual link http://*********************.com/201...ian-wheezy-os/

Beans

Re: URL Censoring?

IIRC, that particular link was put on a "special" list because the person who was linking to that site was doing so gratuitously rather than pointing to existing Ubuntu-specific resources. Obviously, what I've written isn't the "official" POV
    All this went on more than a year ago. And, again, if my memory serves me right, this person returned more than once with a different user name and even tried using shortened urls to mask the link.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I can confirm most of what vasa1 states. We had a problem with a particularly tenacious recurra-troll a year or so ago, who upset several members with nasty comments in one or more of their sock-puppet accounts and who deluged the forum with so many links to that site that it constituted spam. Censoring the domain string was one of the measures we used to get the situation under control. Believe me, it was bad. Almost a dozen new accounts in about 24 hours, if I remember correctly.

In retrospect, I don't believe that the site belongs to the individual who caused the problem, in which case there's no real reason to continue to block it - I think we simply forgot about it. It looks to be a useful site, and we wouldn't block something just because it isn't an Ubuntu/Canonical resource. Just in case there's another reason I've forgotten, I'll discuss this with the other admins and get back to you.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    .... It looks to be a useful site, and we wouldn't block something just because it isn't an Ubuntu/Canonical resource.
    My objection also was the way in which it was being pushed.

Rather than a trivial question being answered in the forum and the knowledge therefore being available within the forum, the questioner was just referred to "somewhere else". I've done that as well, but not always to the same site.

When I last looked (at around the time all this was going on), much of the content was about undoing the default Unity "experience". I certainly wouldn't advise that site to anyone, especially a beginner.

Anyway, the person who was pushing that link was quite resourceful and who knows what the future holds

Beans

Ok, no problem, just wondering what happened. Was not aware of the 'history'

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Update - we'll remove that subdomain from the censor list when we can. Unfortunately, there's a glitch in the system preventing us from doing so at the moment. Once that's been fixed, I'll try to remember to get onto it.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Ta.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

bah - meant to post here the other day - but I didn't ...

should be fixed now mips