Thread: Hi everyone! Installing on broken laptop; system works fine, screen is broken tho

Beans

Red face Hi everyone! Installing on broken laptop; system works fine, screen is broken tho

Hi all, and Merry Christmas!

I'd like to greet everyone in this community and introduce myself. I used Ubuntu a few years ago as a "computer programming enthusiast" in high school, but soon switched back to Windows as I loved to play PC games. I gave myself a reality check, and my liking for both programming and video games withered as I'm looking towards starting this new year fresh! I'm pretty much done with Windows. I don't like it anymore. Only thing that kept me tethered to it was the games. I'm done. Thanks, Microsoft.

Now I would LOVE to be reacquainted with this sultry, seductive, resilient OS, for all the great times decoding that newfangled Linux Lingo, hours spent on exhausting troubleshooting... Yet— I can't install it!

—————MY ISSUE—————

Alright, so the machine I'm using is a Dual-Core Pentium Laptop made by ACER. This tiny laptop is awesome -aside from the fact that the lid monitor screen is broken -which I didn't mind anyways since there's an HDMI port that can output the display to another monitor (Windows 7 does this in a very friendly manner) and still use it.

QUESTION: Booting off the Live CD, how do I display the "Main Screen" through the HDMI output to my monitor?

¿SIMPLER QUESTION?: Booting off the Live CD, how do I clone my display?

Normally, as I boot off the Live CD, everything loads okay (to my knowledge). The display monitor (a 21" Dell) is plugged in the laptop through HDMI. The backlight from the lid is on, but you can't see squat 'cause it's broken (all you see are shards and edges of purple and grey on white). What I see through my display monitor (when everything loads) is the right side of the desktop, because apparently, the OS recognizes both "display devices" and outputs the left side of the desktop to the broken lid. The left side has all the stuff I need for OS install, and I can't interact with it, because I can't see it.

I know that the simplest solution would be to enter Terminal Mode before the Live CD and to just install Ubuntu through input commands, but I don't want to do that. I would like to enjoy the novelty of being directed through this new experience (yet again). To start fresh, yo!

Thanks for reading! **** WINDOWS *cough*

...Or maybe I should just tear that damn lid off...
    Last edited by marco.a.polanco; December 24th, 2013 at 12:48 PM. Reason: I like Courier New. Default font looks fussy.

Beans

Re: Hi everyone! Installing on broken laptop; system works fine, screen is broken tho

Many motherboards with VGA ports will clone the display upon boot if they detect a monitor on that port.
    But I have not seen the same feature on HDMI ports. They may exist...but I haven't seen it.
    That's a hardware issue, not a Live environment setting.

The Live image is designed to be a demo environment. It is handy for repair/recovery, but that's not what it's designed for.

Beans

Re: Hi everyone! Installing on broken laptop; system works fine, screen is broken tho

Ah...! My laptop does come with a VGA port. I will test that and see if it works, thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Welcome. Yea, try with the the dv/dvi/vga plug rather than hdmi. That should be a straight clone.

Just a heads up: The bold is fine, but please use default font and size. Thanks.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; December 24th, 2013 at 04:05 PM.

Beans

Success! Thanks, Ian, for the help! I restarted the PC with the VGA port in, got to install Ubuntu, and switched back to HDMI. I'm typing this on Ubuntu right now. Yay! All that's left is to migrate the few programs I was used to working with under Windows... There's always Wine to help!

And no problem Mr. Mod, thanks for the help!

EDIT1: One last question- how do I mark a Solved Thread?

EDIT2: And yet another- what's a good resource for configuring fresh installs?
    Last edited by marco.a.polanco; December 25th, 2013 at 12:14 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Follow link in my signature to mark thread as solved. Enjoy!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by marco.a.polanco View Post
    Depends on what you wish to configure or customize. http://help.ubuntu.com is good for most common subjects.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by marco.a.polanco View Post
    Please post a new thread regarding this as it is off-topic to this one's title. This will increase your chances of getting support.

Use a descriptive title and as much detail as poss about what you want to configure. Good luck.