Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the best emulators in the software center?

Beans

What are the best emulators in the software center?

I must admit I've given up on the c64 emulator - I've spent way too much time trying to get it to work.
    Others say the SNES emulator has a freeze problem.

So, what other emulators are worth giving it a go? I like games such as 4th and inches and Hardball.

Beans

Re: What are the best emulators in the software center?

Well I got the zsnes player to run the snes roms.
    I was unable to get the PS1 player to work. The roms that I downloaded from 2 different sites wouldn't unpack for some odd reason.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by michael-piziak View Post
    Well I got the zsnes player to run the snes roms.
    I was unable to get the PS1 player to work. The roms that I downloaded from 2 different sites wouldn't unpack for some odd reason.
    Do you have the system roms/firmware files? Just like with vice it will not work without these files.
    Last edited by mips; December 24th, 2013 at 10:35 AM.

Beans

I just install the ps1 emulator from the software center, then I went and got a couple roms on the internet sites. Didn't work. The zsnes done this way worked though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I just install the ps1 emulator from the software center, then I went and got a couple roms on the internet sites. Didn't work. The zsnes done this way worked though.
    pcsxr?

Having ripped, most of my games, they are all .bin files.

Then again, don't know which ps1 emu you're trying out.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

A console has an OS which is located in rom/firmware, without that it does nothing and won't run any of your game roms.
    You need the system bios/rom/firmware for that specific console you are trying to emulate else it will not work. These files are not distributed with the emulators as it would be illegal.
    Last edited by mips; December 25th, 2013 at 11:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    A console has an OS which is located in rom/firmware, without that it does nothing and won't run any of your game roms.
    You need the system bios/rom/firmware for that specific console you are trying to emulate else it will not work. These files are not distributed with the emulators as it would be illegal.
    pcsxr on Ubuntu comes with a simulated psx bios(whatever that means).
    Which is of not so great quality.
    It also comes with a load of dummy plugins.
    Out there in the wild of the internet there's a linux plugin package, that has better plugins.
    Earn Your Keep

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

If its possible to make it run on linux i have a flawless pcsxfin on my windows7... and if not i believe it uses a bios from a modified ps1 (its been a long time since ive looked at it) which i might be able to dig out for someone to tinker with... also a lot of good bin files (say hello to all the final fantasy games)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sjackling View Post
    If its possible to make it run on linux i have a flawless pcsxfin on my windows7... and if not i believe it uses a bios from a modified ps1 (its been a long time since ive looked at it) which i might be able to dig out for someone to tinker with... also a lot of good bin files (say hello to all the final fantasy games)
    It should work.
    If you have a BIOS, move it, or copy it, into the pcsx hidden folder in the users home folder.
    the path would be /home/username/.pcsx/bios/
    When you launch the emu, in the menu options go to configuration, and then go to plugins and bios.
    The bios can be changed at the bottom.
    I don't remember having to do anything to get the bin files of the games to work, they just do.
    I did/do have to readjust my cdrom drive for the only game I can't rip.(It has a few bad sectors on the disk, yet still plays quite well)
    Earn Your Keep

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Well i guess ill dig it out and put it together but i meant for everyone else (after all i can just hop back to win7 when I want to play) but if i get it loaded and tweaked in how might i go about sharing the love? (im excellent at downloading stuff for myself but i dont think ive ever uploaded anything?)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast