Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: tutoring my father in ubuntu

Beans

Re: tutoring my father in ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Actually, there are some recent research in neuroplasticity indicating that this is not true. There is evidence the brain retains much of its agility way into relatively old age (hence plasticity) It is perhaps a psychological thing that older people appear to be or even feel slower. Cultural perceptions also play a role, if a young guy is not so fast in picking things up no one would think much of it or simply attribute it to stupidity, whereas for older people it is immediately taken as an indication of decline. it is reinforced and becomes an expectation.

I am 35 but I am quite fascinated by this when observing how older friends and relatives perceive themselves and act according to their perceptions and cultural expectations(you will appreciate that it actually takes a very strong role if you have lived among different cultures). I would concede that very young children do demonstrate an agility of the mind that leaves most adults in the dust, but that window closes pretty early so is irrelevant to ageing.
    I actually have observed this myself, during my recent time at the Zen center. As the RZC is one of the oldest centers for Zen meditation in the United States, I've met several of our members who have been meditating regularly for 20 or 30 years or longer. From what I've observed it is definitely possible to maintain the mind's agility into old age.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: tutoring my father in ubuntu, and other misconceptions!

Hola! Mac, you have started a great topic, one not easily ignored.

First. All of the responses, so far, truly indicate the need for a "mentoring" system with Ubuntu.
    Next, most "older" people build barriers to learning and adapting, usually based on negative experience.

Personally , i have converted many of my friends to Linux, usually Mint or Ubuntu, and yes, they occasionally ask for help.

For rapid response help, this works: Go to Google, type in "Ubuntu" then the problem,
    example: "ubuntu: video problem", or "ubuntu grub/rescue" .

The reason that I've converted some people to Linux is the I have had my fill of fixing MS Windows problems (garbage).

But..................fixing "Cryptolocker" is way beyond my purview.

Happy holidays to all, from Mazatlan,
    Allen...........................
    Pay now, or pay later, there's no free lunch.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by AllenGG View Post
    Next, most "older" people build barriers to learning and adapting, usually based on negative experience.
    That statement makes me think you are not very old.

Old people have to learn and adapt more than some people realize; however, not necessarily in the area of technology. Some of us can no longer work for various reasons; such as, health issues or no one will hire someone in their 60's or 70's. We have to learn to adapt to living on a significantly lower income. Basic survival is more important than keeping up with the latest technology or having the newest must have gadget.

Think about living on half or less of what you make now, putting food on the table, a roof over your head, and having physical limitations without relying on anybody for help.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; December 25th, 2013 at 11:44 PM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thank you.
    Pay now, or pay later, there's no free lunch.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123