Thread: Retina display and xubuntu

Beans

Retina display and xubuntu

Hey,

I just got a new mac book pro with a retina display and installed xubuntu. Everything works fine, but the extreme high resolution of the retina display makes text unreadable. So I can change the resolution, but ... well, what do I have the retina display for? Its nice to have such an high resolution.

I can change the size of many things in the options, for example the font size. That works, but many things get out of proportion. And for example in the webbrowser the font is still very small (fixable by Ctrl-+, but I have to redo that for every site I open).

So what is your advice to configure xubuntu for a retina display?

Thanks!
    Nathan

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Retina display and xubuntu

Moved to Apple Users where you may get more attention.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I know nothing about the mac versions of ubuntu but it may be worth increasing the the default DPI setting of 96 in the Settings-manager ->Appearance ->Fonts tab. Just play around with the figure until you end up with some readable text. This only affects the desktop fonts and does not do anything for the fonts in applications like Libreoffice etc etc, but presumably that is still OK and readable.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

really sure of a good solution but this should help some:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ddon/nosquint/
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Hey,
    Thanks for the replys. I already increased the dpi in the front section, it helps with many things, but not all.
    The firefox plugin link isi not helping, since I am using chromium, but thanks!
    Things I notice that are not right:
    * Hight of the titlebar, even when I increase it fonts. This includes the size of the close button e.t.c.
    * Some websites in chromioum (not all of them, interestingly)
    * Size of the chromium tabs
    * Some gtk windows are messed up. For example the synapse preference window has a list shortcuts list-view, that is so small (because of the increased font around it), that one can see nothing in it.
    I am thinking of switching to a different WM, anyome better expereince with another WM?

Nathan

Beans

In Unity I just had to come down in resolution. Ubuntu really isn't ready for these retina displays, either is windows....

1920 x 1200 (16:10) works well for me. It's not as crisp but certainly livable....