Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to install Ubuntu in HP mini

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Is it possible to install Ubuntu in HP mini

I have an HP Mini100 w/ 1 GB RAM. I too am dual booting Mint 16 & Lubuntu 13.10. I did remove all partitions and created 3 new partitions - 2 ext4 & 1 swap. Mint 16 works, Lubuntu is faster. Mine has a Broadcom wifi chip so needed an alternative network connection briefly to download the restricted Broadcom firmware. Except for that minor glitch, it's been a smooth ride.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

well the thing is that i want to boot from usb and when i used gparted it only saw my usb...
    anyway here is my partition layout from win7, hope it's what you asked...
    i'll keep trying till it's done...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by charitosha View Post
    well the thing is that i want to boot from usb and when i used gparted it only saw my usb...
    anyway here is my partition layout from win7, hope it's what you asked...
    i'll keep trying till it's done...
    It's as I thought - you have four primary partitions and you can't do a thing until one of them has been deleted.

This is what I did with my HP Mini:

Made sure I had made a set of recovery DVDs with the HP utility in Windows.
    Backed up the contents of the HP_TOOLS partition.
    Deleted the HP_TOOLS partition.
    Shrunk the Windows C: partition from within Windows using Disk Management. You must use Windows to shrink your C: partition.
    Used Gparted to create an extended partition in the space freed up from shrinking the C: partition. - You need to use Gparted from the Ubuntu live session for this and the next step.
    Used Gparted to create ext4 and swap logical partitions in the extended partition.
    Used the "Something Else" option to install Ubuntu to the logical partitions I had already created.

Since you are a beginner, do not do any of this until you are sure how to proceed. For instance, you will need advice on how big to make your Linux partitions and how to use Gparted. Ask any questions you need, and people will be able to help you.

There are other ways of doing this. For instance, you could delete the recovery partition - some people prefer this - but if you do, you must create a set of recovery DVDs first. Again, I suggest you do not proceed until you have explored all options and have appropriate advice.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

well 1st question: where is the Terminal? I mean i searched and found out that if press Ctrk+Alt+T it will open, but i couldn't found where it is by myself...

when i insert in the Terminal: sudo lshw -C display
    Code:
    description: VGA compatible controller
    product: VirtualBox Graphics Adapter
    vendor: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH
    physical id: 2
    bus Info: pci@0000:00:02.02
    version: 00
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33Mhz
    capabilities: vga_controler bus_master
    configuration: latency=0
    resources: memory:e0000000-e0ffffff
    so is the output ok?
    2nd question: how do i Copy the contents of e.g. recovery and hp_tools partitions? i also want to Copy them in a sd-card.
    3rd: will 17 gb be enough space just to run ubuntu with ecplise and notepad++?

I mean if i get the 17 gb to linux, after that it would just be shrinking the Windows partition and adding to Linux, right???

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@charitosha, before we go any further...

Quote Originally Posted by charitosha View Post
    Code:
    product: VirtualBox Graphics Adapter
    Have you installed Ubuntu as a guest OS in VirtualBox? That is, did you install VirtualBox in Windows and then Ubuntu in VirtualBox?
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

well after i downloaded the iso file i burnt it -(when the procedure was over, virtualbox was in the usb)- to the USB via LinuxLive USB creator.
    So i did installed LiLi ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

That's not at all clear. Give us a step by step description of what you did with the Ubuntu ISO. Also - what exactly are you doing now to start Ubuntu? Are you starting it while Windows is running?

The reason I ask is that VirtualBox is not the way to go with only 1GB RAM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    That's not at all clear. Give us a step by step description of what you did with the Ubuntu ISO. Also - what exactly are you doing now to start Ubuntu? Are you starting it while Windows is running?

The reason I ask is that VirtualBox is not the way to go with only 1GB RAM.
    ok so, i downloaded the iso file. Via LinuxLive USB creator i burnt it in the USB, when the proccess was over in the USB there was virtualbox and virtualize_this_key(runs ubuntu automatically in virtualbox).
    As things are right now if boot order changed(to run from the USB first) nothing happens...
    So while Windows7 is running i plug in the USB and run ubuntu Live. I understand that 1gb ram is low but it's what i've got now, (hoping to upgrade it to 2gb soon...)
    Hope it's detailed enough, if not please say so...

And something else i do get couple of error while running ubuntu live in Windows...
    1st : it appears in the ubuntu loading screen : buffer I/O error on device zram0 logical block 63478.
    after that the loading is over and i see ubuntu desktop.
    2nd : it appears when everything on the ubuntu desktop has loaded and it's sort to say, good to go
    it says> title: ubiquity-dm crashed with XStartupError in run():X Server exited with return code 1.

when i close that notice i'm still in ubuntu live and it's running normally.

so what's the problem(that i am not aware of), shouldn't i just free some partition space and install ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

In your first post you said that you used unetbootin to create a bootable USB from the Ubuntu ISO. Which is what I would have expected if you are using Windows. Linux Live USB is an interesting one which I had not come across before. But with only 1GB RAM, I suggest you don't use it. As far as I can see, you are running Ubuntu inside VirtualBox inside Windows. I'm amazed it runs at all with only 1GB RAM.

I suggest you use a USB created with unetbootin in order to run a live session of Ubuntu or one of the other less memory demanding variants such as Xubuntu or Lubuntu as suggested by others. When you come to install, please bear in mind what I posted about the 4 primary partition limitation and what you can do about it. I suggest you search the forum for other threads about installing Ubuntu to a HP machine. All HP machines with Windows 7 have this 4 primary partitions already used problem, and other threads on this will give you useful information. Do not bother with threads about Windows 8 HP machines because they have UEFI BIOS with GUID partition tables which do not have the 4 primary partition limitation, but present other problems which are not relevant to your situation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

I am in need of your help and advice.
    I'm at the point where i want to copy the recovery and hp_tools partitions in a sd card and then delete the original partitions to free some space for ubuntu.
    The problem is that althought i copied both partitions the same way only hp_tools is recognized (not even the free space of the sd card is shown)
    the program that i used is minitools partition, if anyone something better please tell...
    so how i should overcome this issue???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast