Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Solved] Mouse won't work

Beans

[Solved] Mouse won't work

Hello. I'm new to Ubuntu, but when I tried to load it off a USB drive, my trackpad won't work, nor will the buttons. I've tried to look it up, but nothing has worked so far. If I need to get into a folder, it has to be accessible from the terminal, since I don't have access to an external mouse. Any and all help is appreciated.
    Last edited by the.z.cuber; January 2nd, 2014 at 07:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Mouse won't work

Welcome to the forums the.z.cuber !

Please try what has been suggested in this post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...8#post12880188

Of course replace the "PS/2 Elantech Touchpad" part with whatever name your trackpad comes up with in the output of "xinput", if the first two command sets don't work and you need to try the "xinput float..." commands.
    Last edited by varunendra; December 30th, 2013 at 06:04 AM. Reason: corrected URL
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

My mouse is PS/2 Synaptics TouchPad. I tried the first, which did not work. Adding proto worked, but only for about a second. The last did nothing as well.

Beans
    Distro

Please open 3 terminals at the same time, one will be for entering commands, other two will be for monitoring the effects.

In one terminal, enter -
    Code:
    tail -f /var/log/Xorg.0.log > Desktop/Xorg.txt
    In the other one -
    Code:
    tail -f /var/log/syslog > Desktop syslog.txt
    These will keep monitoring the Xorg.0.log and syslog files for any new messages and redirect their outputs to Xorg.txt and syslog.txt files on your desktop. Keep these running.

Now in the third terminal, run all the three workarounds one-by-one (first the "xinput" one, then reloading the module without parameter, and last, reloading it with "proto=imps" parameter). After these, run these commands -
    Code:
    synclient > Desktop/synclient.txt
    lsmod > Desktop/lsmod.txt
    After all five commands including the above ones have been run, highlight the monitoring terminals with 'Alt-Tab' and stop the monitoring with 'Ctrl-Z'. Highlight the four newly created files on the desktop using arrow keys, and copy them with 'Ctrl-C'. Now plug in a pen drive > let it open automatically and paste the files into it with 'Ctrl-V'.

Attach these files into your next post here.

PS:
    If the usb drive doesn't open automatically, you can copy the files using command line -
    Code:
    cp Desktop/*.txt <mount-point of the usb drive>
    where <mount-point of the usb drive> has to be replaced by the drive's mount point (e.g. sdb1, sdc1 etc.). You can determine that with "mount" command.
    Varun

Beans

I don't see any filed created on the desktop for whatever reason. Is this because I had to close the terminal in order to get to the other one?

Beans
    Distro

It must have been created even if you closed the terminal but entered the command correctly before that. Make sure you entered the command exactly as I posted above (if you can copy it somehow, you can paste it in terminal with 'Ctrl-Shift-V').

Sometimes you need to 'Refresh' the desktop in Live session to be able to see newly created files. Press "F5" for that. The command "ls Desktop" will also show the contents of the desktop.

By the way, you don't need to close a terminal to get a new one. Just press 'Ctrl-Alt-T' again and you can open as many terminal with this as you need. Keep all the three terminals open until the commands are finished.
    Varun

Beans

Since I'm using my iPod to access this website, I can't attach files. I took a picture of the 3 filed that had contents (the 4th was empty). I can't find a way to attach pictutes on the mobile site; is there an email I could send them to? If you don't want to post it, just email me at [email]. Thanks!
    Last edited by the.z.cuber; December 26th, 2013 at 08:20 PM.

Beans

Apparently the email forward I have set up does not. Try [email]
    Last edited by the.z.cuber; December 26th, 2013 at 08:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I didn't try any of the email addresses you posted. And unless you don't mind spams, it is best to remove them from your posts above.

It would be much better to upload the images at some image hosting site like imagebin.org (deletes images after some days) or photobucket.com (for permanent link) etc., then post its link here.
    Varun

Beans

syslog.txt
    Xorg.txt
    lsmod.txt [1]
    lsmod.txt[2]
    lsmod.txt[3]

Whatever the missing file is was empty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast