Thread: Commodore 64 emulator

Beans

Commodore 64 emulator

ok. I get the Commodore 64 emulator from the software center - C64 shows up on my dash to the left.
    I download and unpack the .zip file for the "4th & inches" rom; however, double clicking the file "4th.inches.d64" doesn't start the game. Neither can I click on the c64 on the dash to get it started.
    I then download "hardball" rom and have the same problem.

help please
    Last edited by michael-piziak; December 21st, 2013 at 05:29 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Commodore 64 emulator

Moved to Emulators
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I will only give you a hint: you need to get the roms for the various Commodore 8-bit systems (the ones supported by Vice, that is) and place them into the hidden folder named .vice that should be in your home folder (otherwise, just create it yourself).

Also, it's not necessary to unzip your games before loading them.

Hope that helps.

Beans

I created a folder named .vice. It disapeared. So I created a folder named .vice on desktop, dragged 2 roms into it, then put it in my home folder. It disapeared again. Now, all I have is C64 on my dash to the left. Clicking it does nothing.
    Maybe my problem is I'm getting the C64 from the Ubuntu Software Center ?
    Last edited by michael-piziak; December 22nd, 2013 at 09:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by michael-piziak View Post
    I created a folder named .vice. It disapeared. So I created a folder named .vice on desktop, dragged 2 roms into it, then put it in my home folder. It disapeared again. Now, all I have is C64 on my dash to the left. Clicking it does nothing.
    Maybe my problem is I'm getting the C64 from the Ubuntu Software Center ?
    You need to select View -> Show Hidden Files from Nautilus' menu to be able to see the hidden folders.

Have you downloaded the right files? My .vice folder looks like this:

I have the version from the USC and it runs games just fine (you might need to fiddle with the keyboard/joystick controls a bit, though)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

ok I can see the hidden folder I created called ".vice" However, double clicking them does nothing. Also, c64 on dash to left is all I have, and I can't drag that to the .vice folder

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, my mistake; when I said "roms" I meant the copies of the ROM chips that contained the Operating System, BASIC, etc. that those machines came with, not your copies of disks or tapes. I can't give you the download url because that would be against the forum rules, so you need to google for "vice commodore roms" or something similar.

Unpack those rom files in the .vice folder, then search in the dash for "commodore", run Commodore 64, for example, then select File -> Smart Attack disk/tape from the menu and choose the .zip file of the game or app you want and it will load it for you.

Hope that helps.

Beans

Perhaps someone could tell me the url that is n00bsonubuntu in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giSot42sK5I

I'm going to have to give up on getting c64 to work if I can't find some easier instructions. I'll try another emulator.
    Last edited by michael-piziak; December 23rd, 2013 at 02:37 AM.

Beans

http://www.thelinuxguy.nl/how-tos/ho...n-debianlinux/ Scroll down to the section wrt the zimmers web site.

Beans

Much thanks to kostkon. I revisited this today and following his instructions and studying his screenshot, I was able to get Commodore 64 from the software center to work!

The load time, for game roms, almost reminds me of how long it took to load games back then! Patience is a necessity. Now I just need to figure out how to get my digital gravis gamepad pro to be recognized by the emulator.

Marking this thread as solved.

p.s. Thanks mips also, I was going to try your solution next.

p.s.s. It's really fairly simple to get this running. Download Commodore 64 from the software center. Then go to " http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/crossplatform/emulators/VICE/old/vice-1.5-roms.tar.gz" which downloads vice-1.5-roms.tar.gz to your download folder. A few double clicks on the vice-1.5-roms.tar.gz get you to a folder named "data" Move the "data" folder to your home folder. Then, rename the "data" folder to ".vice" The .vice folder will disappear and Commodore 64 emulator works !
    Last edited by michael-piziak; November 19th, 2014 at 03:13 AM.