Thread: Difference between the host and the guest OS kernel versions

Beans

Difference between the host and the guest OS kernel versions

I had installed Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit on my Laptop (host OS) when it was released (around April, 2012) and after applying all the patches (sudo apt-get update;sudo apt-get dist-upgrade), the version of Linux kernel is
    uname -r
    3.2.0-53-generic
    Recently I downloaded ubuntu-12.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso and used if for installing a guest OS on top of VirtualBox, the default Linux kernel is
    uname -r
    3.8.0-29-generic
    And 3.8.0-34 is available on doing a dist-upgrade on the guest.

Why is not the kernel version getting upgraded to 3.8.0-* on the host OS even after a dist-upgrade? I am getting the rest of the upgrades though.

Also, because of the kernel mismatch I am not able to install the VirtualBox guest additions.
    Last edited by praveensripati2; December 20th, 2013 at 04:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Difference between the host and the guest OS kernel versions

Because of the long term support nature of 12.04, newer kernels were backported. There is a difference between 12.04 and 12.04.3. So perhaps reinstall your host using 12.04.3 or use some instructions that are available on the web for upgrading the kernel.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePango.../UbuntuDesktop

According to the release notes, 12.04.2 had a mechanism to automatically upgrade to 12.04.3. So I presume you have to upgrade to 12.04.2 then reboot and continue to perform updates until you are at 12.04.3. Pay attention to the section entitled: LTS Hardware Enablement Stack
    Last edited by tgalati4; December 21st, 2013 at 12:29 AM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Difference between the host and the guest OS kernel versions

The developers decided that to get the 3.8.x kernel and the Hardware Enablement Stack for 12.04.2/3, users would have to manually and deliberately install them from 12.04/12.04.1. If you haven't done that, your upgrades are going to keep the kernel at 3.2.x. There are changes significant enough that there is this "Are you really sure?" step that dist-upgrade will not take on its own.

Have a look here for more discussion.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.