Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Won't boot after cloned to new hard drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Won't boot after cloned to new hard drive

Ubuntu 12.04lts with Win7 WUBI. Has been working just fine. I recently installed and cloned to the new drive using Acronis home 2013. I have done this before without any problems. But now there is a boot problem I get the following error:
    Code:
    No such Device 50C25888C2587466
    Press any key to continue
    When I press any key nothing happens. I tried "Boot Repair" but it didn't fix it and actually seemed to have some errors which I couldn't identify. I am probably not an absolute beginner, but none the less a beginner so maybe a little more detail in the answer would help me learn.
    I have been doing some studying on the internet and found some information about this and editing "UUID's". I can boot the computer with the old hard drive via USB as I haven't deleted anything off it yet. So as I understand I would be able to edit the necessary files from that boot. If that is the case I will need some directions on what to do. I do know how to edit config files as I have done some of this with "Samba".
    Thank you for any anticipated help.
    Michael
    Last edited by mmcl26554; October 22nd, 2013 at 05:47 AM.
    /\_/\
    (='.'=) Angus
    (") (") Skye
    (") (") Finn

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: Won't boot after cloned to new hard drive

I have never used Acronis, so no help there. But I do use clonezilla.

With clonezilla, I must clone the entire drive (not just the partition) in order to include the boot (grub).

Also I cannot have the clone and original HDD plugged in at the same time, this will cause havoc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have seen you or someone else toot the horn about Clonezilla during my research on this issue. However, there are probably more similarities between the 2 than differences. Acronis, when it clones, it does do the entire drive including MBR, and will expand or compress the size to fit in the destination drive unless of course there is more actual data than the destination can hold. I have cloned this drive before without problem to either OS. I am wondering if Ubuntu is looking to connect to the old drive and not finding it stalls. But it didn't have any problems previously connecting to a different drive, so I suspect something was corrupted in the process but I don't know what and that is why I have posted here in the hopes someone with more experience with Ubuntu then I have (and it won't take much to know more than I do about it), can help me resolve the problem. So I am just awaiting for some assistance.
    Michael
    /\_/\
    (='.'=) Angus
    (") (") Skye
    (") (") Finn

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

After you get 'Error: no such device' do you get the option to go to recovery mode? Maybe not worded like that.

If you can get to a terminal/console you can try:

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l and sudo blkid
    If you get this far, please post the output.

This is for the clone hdd only.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The error message is an exact quote. It says to press "any key" (of course there is no "any key" on the keyboard... HaHaHa) seriously, no matter what key I press it does not go any further. So the only way I can change anything is to boot from a live disk or the system on the USB drive. So that is where we will have to go to fix anything. Recovery mode is not offered only what I have stated in the original post is all that is on the screen. No recovery mode, no response to any key press.
    Michael
    /\_/\
    (='.'=) Angus
    (") (") Skye
    (") (") Finn

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Do not connect original drive, but use liveDVD or flash drive and from Boot-Repair run the Boot-Info report and post its link.

Post the link to the BootInfo report that this creates. Is part of Boot-Repair:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info
    Boot Repair -Also handles LVM, GPT, separate /boot and UEFI dual boot.:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

Do try boot-repair as oldfred suggests; it really kicks asp. It might also be possible that your clone was corrupted. Will it be possible to create a new image from the original?
    "We're all in this together, kid." --H. Tuttle (a.k.a. H. Buttle)
    "Maybe it's a layer 8 problem." --thatguruguy
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    But I do use clonezilla. With clonezilla, I must clone the entire drive (not just the partition) in order to include the boot (grub).
    Just to clarity, clonezilla allows partition cloning, as well as whole-disk cloning. Of course, you'd have to have set up a separate /home partition to do this, as most experienced Linux users do.The options, as I recall, are named clonepart (for a partition) and clonedisk (for the whole thing). Also, the clonezilla folks claim to be working on a feature that will allow recovery of individual files, as Norton Ghost does for Windows. Cheers!
    In working with *nix...There be dragons. Newcomers: I recommend reading Linux is Not Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) and The Linux Command Line (http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php) before beginning your quest for a better OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I do have a "Boot Repair" disk and I did run it. However, it didn't fix it and it couldn't activate my wireless card and it wanted me to connect to a wired system. That wasn't convenient at the time and anyway if it worked would have been moot. However, I'll run Boot Repair again with the laptop connected to a wired network and post the results. Do you want just the URL or the complete listing? I'll do it later this evening or tomorrow. Thanks all of you people for your responses.
    Michael
    /\_/\
    (='.'=) Angus
    (") (") Skye
    (") (") Finn

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Just need the link. Output is rather long.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast