Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best and Worst Linux Distros of 2013

Beans

Best and Worst Linux Distros of 2013

Best Distro 2013.

Beans

Re: Best and Worst Linux Distros of 2013

I guess 'best' and 'worst' are sort of subjective, right?

For me, personally, the worst would have been anything with KDE Plasma desktop. I really love KDE but for some reason, after a little time, it always ends up going buggy on me. The best would be just about anything without KDE Plasma desktop

Beans

I found this Distro about 3 weeks a go ( SolydXK ). I read about how good it was and how it updates on the monthly bases to the next stable level month after month with no expiry ever. I installed the Distro and been bored since. It was a pleasant surprise this morning when I watched Quids video. Glad I test more than one Distros at a time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Best distro for me is the one which is both rolling and stable at the same time. I am yet to find a distro which has these 2 characteristics at the same time.

Worst distro is any distro which is not user friendly and unstable. There are many examples.
    Ubuntu 16.04
    free
    showing high ram usage ? Read this
    When people say "you've changed " there's a 95% chance that you just stopped acting the way they wanted you to.

Beans

Note that Quidsup explicitly recommends SolydK for new users coming from Windows. Deciding on the "best" distros depends on the kind of user you have in mind. Pretty sure he, himself, is an Ubuntu user.

I've done an install of SolydK and agree with the specific points he makes about the distro. (Although, personally, for folks with *no* Windows experience -- a rare breed -- I'd go with Gnome Shell because it is considerably simpler and much more focused than KDE.)

The SolydK installer doesn't support use of multiple drives. E.g., you can't tell it to put /home on a second drive. (You can move partitions afterwards, but it's a bit tedious.) The SolydK folks are aware of this and I wouldn't be surprised to see an improved installer down the road.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by linuxyogi View Post
    Best distro for me is the one which is both rolling and stable at the same time. I am yet to find a distro which has these 2 characteristics at the same time.

Try Manjaro Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Try Manjaro Linux.
    +1 for me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    Best Distro 2013.
    For family Ubuntu is the best. In terms of profession, Fedora wins. I like its EDA and Robotics Spins. Here Fedora really beats Ubuntu and any other distro completely. In terms of speed, Arch and Gentoo are ahead of any distro for Admins. :)

Beans

Looks like an interesting addition to the distro toolkit. I should check it out.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If someone held a gun to my head, it would be a hard choice between Fedora and Ubuntu.
    The Left Coast Geek * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast