Thread: Retrieving data from broken phone.

Beans

Retrieving data from broken phone.

A few weeks ago I broke the screen on my Samsung Galaxy S4 and was unable to see anything. I got the phone replaced but I want to figure out if I can retrieve data from the old phone like my SMS data and import it to my new phone. I can view all of the contents of the harddrive so I'd like to know if there is a way I can access it from there and move it to my new phone's harddrive. I can not use the phone in any other way than to view the contents of the drive via USB. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Not sure where to post this. Need help retrieving data from broken phone.

Another option to see the phone screen without it would any MHL adapter (micro-USB to HDMI to HDTV). However, if it is like my S3 (or a Note2) it would also need a micro-USB 5-pin to 11-pin adapter. I used this one which is currently $5.59 US http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would not know what would need to be done to copy or transfer SMS, because the e-mail I use most is on an Exchange server and somehow text messages I receive end up there too. So the only important things are photos or videos that I save right to microSD. Your mobile provider may be able to transfer other data.
    i5 650 3.2 GHz, 8 GB, nvidia GTX 750 Ti, 32" 1080p | i7-4700MQ, 8 GB, Intel HD 4600/nvidia GTX 765M, 15.6" 1080p | etc.