Thread: NVidia 8400M - full frame?

Beans

NVidia 8400M - full frame?

I have searched the web prior to posting, and I can find several posts (in various *nix versions) about the NVidia
    8400M having trouble with full frame flash, which means (notably) Youtube, back in 2010-2012.

In my searching I didn't find a definitive cure (just a load of "try this" style posts).

Symptoms/report:

When watching youtube, if I go "fullscreen" it's very flickery to start with, then locks solid. Power sequence
    is only way out.

Video card is essentially "good" (and quite fast); e.g. Stellarium runs at 59 f/s, fullscreen,

Machine;
    Code:
    lshw -c video
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: G86M [GeForce 8400M GS]
           vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
           version: a1
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
           configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
           resources: irq:16 memory:fd000000-fdffffff memory:f4000000-f7ffffff memory:fa000000-fbffffff ioport:ef00(size=128) memory:fea00000-fea1ffff

dpkg -l | grep nvidia

nvidia-319-updates                            319.60-0ubuntu1                            amd64        NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU library
    nvidia-settings-319-updates                   319.60-0ubuntu1                            amd64        Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
    So - is this (old) problem still unsolved?

BugBear

Beans

Re: NVidia 8400M - full frame?

I note that Geforce have a newer driver available;

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/69372

331.20 vs my 319.60

BugBear

Beans

First, make sure that the VDPAU software is installed; check to see if there is a file called /usr/lib/vdpau/libvdpau_nvidia.so.1 on your system. It should have been installed along with the NVIDIA driver. This software provides support for hardware acceleration of certain types of video files, particularly ones distributed in the H.264 format.

Next, open a YouTube video in full-screen, right-click on the image and pick Settings. Is the "Enable Hardware Acceleration" box checked? If not, check it, then close and reopen the browser. Try the video again and see if it runs more smoothly.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    First, make sure that the VDPAU software is installed; check to see if there is a file called /usr/lib/vdpau/libvdpau_nvidia.so.1 on your system. It should have been installed along with the NVIDIA driver. This software provides support for hardware acceleration of certain types of video files, particularly ones distributed in the H.264 format.

Next, open a YouTube video in full-screen, right-click on the image and pick Settings. Is the "Enable Hardware Acceleration" box checked? If not, check it, then close and reopen the browser. Try the video again and see if it runs more smoothly.

VDPAU:

Code:
    ll  /usr/lib/vdpau/libvdpau_nvidia.so.1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 55 Nov 14 16:46 /usr/lib/vdpau/libvdpau_nvidia.so.1 -> /etc/alternatives/x86_64-linux-gnu_libvdpau_nvidia.so.1
    ll /etc/alternatives/x86_64-linux-gnu_libvdpau_nvidia.so.1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 54 Nov 14 16:46 /etc/alternatives/x86_64-linux-gnu_libvdpau_nvidia.so.1 -> /usr/lib/nvidia-319-updates/vdpau/libvdpau_nvidia.so.1
    ll /usr/lib/nvidia-319-updates/vdpau/libvdpau_nvidia.so.1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Oct  2 16:18 /usr/lib/nvidia-319-updates/vdpau/libvdpau_nvidia.so.1 -> libvdpau_nvidia.so.319.60
    ll /usr/lib/nvidia-319-updates/vdpau/libvdpau_nvidia.so.319.60
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1813416 Oct  2 16:19 /usr/lib/nvidia-319-updates/vdpau/libvdpau_nvidia.so.319.60
    Settings were fine. And, for a 30 second test, full screen TouTube was fine. I'll leave a longer test running.

Thanks for your help so far.

BugBear
    Last edited by bugbear6502; December 17th, 2013 at 06:47 PM.

Beans

Damn. Ran the video again just after posting the above.

Flickered immediately, sound OK, for around 2 seconds
    Then blank screen, sound OK.
    Then the sound stopped.

Machine then immune to anything I tried except power button.

BugBear

Beans

Maybe there is some other factor(s)??
    I've still got an 8400m laptop here, while old it can play youtube vids @ fs, with or without full hw acceleration
    ( vdpau support in 8400m is remedial at best, though can help a bit with yt vids

As far as hwaccel with flash using Firefox - maybe ck. that you're actually getting both rendering & decoding
    Open a yt vid (non fullscreen so it plays), right click in vid window > stats for nerds
    It should show ' accelerated video decoding', see screen for example

If not & you wish to see if it helps - in terminal
    Code:
    sudo mkdir -p /etc/adobe
    Code:
    echo "EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1" | sudo tee /etc/adobe/mms.cfg
    Then start up firefox & see
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Maybe there is some other factor(s)??
    I've still got an 8400m laptop here, while old it can play youtube vids @ fs, with or without full hw acceleration
    ( vdpau support in 8400m is remedial at best, though can help a bit with yt vids

As far as hwaccel with flash using Firefox - maybe ck. that you're actually getting both rendering & decoding
    Open a yt vid (non fullscreen so it plays), right click in vid window > stats for nerds
    It should show ' accelerated video decoding', see screen for example

If not & you wish to see if it helps - in terminal
    Code:
    sudo mkdir -p /etc/adobe
    Code:
    echo "EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1" | sudo tee /etc/adobe/mms.cfg
    Then start up firefox & see
    Thanks - I shall try this when I get home (I'm posting from work, in the UK).

It's good to hear "I've still got an 8400m laptop here, while old it can play youtube vids @ fs, with or without full hw acceleration"

What Linux/Driver versions do you have?

BugBear
    Last edited by bugbear6502; December 18th, 2013 at 10:33 AM.

Beans

Interesting - I tried and failed to take a screenshot with both Gimp and Shutter; in both cases the part of the screenshot that was the video was just a window onto the live, still playing firefox!!

So I'll just have to key it:

10 stage fps, 24 video fps, 63 dropped, 0kbps,
    accelerated video rendering, software video decoding,
    NaN db, 1 audio factor.

I should point out that I'm using 4 desktops under LXDE/Openbox, which may be relevant.

But the failure is quite variable - now I'm trying to TEST it, I can sometimes (but not always...) run full screen for a coupla' minutes. I suspect amount of interaction may be a factor.

BugBear
    Last edited by bugbear6502; December 18th, 2013 at 04:36 PM. Reason: additional info

Beans

I've found a site that REALLY breaks my Flash;

http://www.historic-maps.norfolk.gov.uk/mapexplorer/

Consistent and horrible full screen flashing.

BugBear