Thread: PCI Express Graphics Support and Ubuntu Server

Beans

Question PCI Express Graphics Support and Ubuntu Server

Hello,

Do most PCI Express graphics cards work "out-of-the-box" with Ubuntu Server 12.04?

I am only running a server terminal, so 3d performance is not even in the equation.

I just need to know whether or not most (or, all?) graphics cards will work without special drivers.

Background info: I made a mistake and bought an FM1 AMD CPU, not an APU and therefore it does not have a graphics chip onboard. So, I'm looking to buy a cheap, passively-cooled discrete GPU for this build.

Recommendations would also be appreciated. I am looking at either an nVidia 8400GS or Radeon HD5450 at the moment. Both are PCI-e 2.0 16x cards.

Thanks,
    Cody

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: PCI Express Graphics Support and Ubuntu Server

ooboontwo; Hi !

I am running "product: RV515 [Radeon X1300/X1550]", an ATI card installed to the pci-express slot ! - Real cheap card.
    No problem at all on my part, outside of the fact that the card has been relegated to legacy status by ATI (AMD).
    I do run with the open source driver.

Currently I understand that Nvidia offers the better support for their products in our world.

hope that helps
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi ooboontwo.

Ubuntu server and desktop's kernel were merged some time ago, so the 'drivers' compatibility is the same.

Are you running a terminal server, a server version text only version, or just running terminals on a Desktop edition?

Regards.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    Hi ooboontwo.

Ubuntu server and desktop's kernel were merged some time ago, so the 'drivers' compatibility is the same.

Are you running a terminal server, a server version text only version, or just running terminals on a Desktop edition?

Regards.
    Hi papibe,

I am running "stock" Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS Server. It does not have a desktop / GUI.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

No problem then.

After you install the new card (and maybe selecting it as a default on the BIOS), you'll be using the open source version of the driver needed.

nouveau for Nvidia cards, and radeon for ATI/AMD cards.

I have an old laptop with Ubuntu Server installed. It has a Nvidia card, and it's using the nouveau driver:
    Code:
    $ lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 vga

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation NV17M [GeForce4 440 Go] [10de:0174] (rev a3)
    	Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Device [1179:0001]
    	Kernel driver in use: nouveau
    Hope it helps.
    Regards.

P.S.: As far as I can tell, there won't be any boost in performance. May be you'll get a better resolution (more defined though smaller text fonts in this case).