Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 on /dev/sda3, Ubuntu 12.04 on /dev/sda1. Con only boot into Win 7.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Windows 7 on /dev/sda3, Ubuntu 12.04 on /dev/sda1. Con only boot into Win 7.

I installed Windows 7 simply because Sketchup Make refuses to run properly under Wine.
    I used Gparted to resize and make a new partition /dev/sda3, leaving(I HOPE!) Ubuntu 12.04 on the original (resized /dev/sda1). Windows boots up and runs fine, but I don't know how to get back into Ubuntu.
    I did at one stage get a screen which offered me a choice of OS - Win 7 or BLANK, Ubuntu was not there.
    Have made a copy of all my Ubuntu files etc on an external HDD, but I could use some help getting back into Ubuntu!
    Acer Aspire 5735, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD + 2x2TB Seagate Expansion Drives

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Windows 7 on /dev/sda3, Ubuntu 12.04 on /dev/sda1. Con only boot into Win 7.

Run Boot Repair from the Ubuntu Desktop CD or the Boot Repair Live CD.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Windows 7 on /dev/sda3, Ubuntu 12.04 on /dev/sda1. Con only boot into Win 7.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Run Boot Repair from the Ubuntu Desktop CD or the Boot Repair Live CD.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    Thank you. Now have CD of Boot Repair, booted from it and followed its instructions; sadly, although I now have a screen giving me options to boot into Ubuntu (normal or repair modes), some other options and Win7. The ONLY one which results in a booted OS is Win7, very smooth. Choosing Ubuntu give a screen 'running in low definition' or similar wording with 4 options listed, only the top one 'run in this definition once', or something similar is selected (the others cannot be selected). 'Enter' gives a further screen at which point the system freezes, the only option being a 'hard shut down'.
    Sorry to be a bit vague about screen contents but of course I can't take screen shots nor open the sequence whilst using Win 7 to get to this forum!
    It would seem that my Ubuntu 12.04 installation is still in /dev/sda1 but I can't get it running. As I have copies of all the important 12.04 system files, I could, in the worst case format the sda1 partition and reload Ubuntu - perhaps moving on to 13.04. Trouble is I don't feel competent to do all that without a 'guiding hand'.
    In a nutshell, I'm stuck and could use some help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

RayArdia,

I would suggest booting into Gparted from a live boot or live boot something like Ubuntu so you can do some partitioning. If you have backed up all your files and aren't worried about starting over, I would just delete the partition on /dev/sda1 and making a new Linux partition for 13.04. I'm going to use fdisk, since I'm more familiar with that rather than Gparted which means you would need to live boot Ubuntu, to begin you will need root privileges so use "sudo" (Also note that I'm using sdc as an example, you would type sda):

Code:
    sudo fdisk /dev/sdc
    You should see "Command (m for help)" and if you press "m" you will see:
    Code:
    Command (m for help): m
    Command action
       a   toggle a bootable flag
       b   edit bsd disklabel
       c   toggle the dos compatibility flag
       d   delete a partition
       l   list known partition types
       m   print this menu
       n   add a new partition
       o   create a new empty DOS partition table
       p   print the partition table
       q   quit without saving changes
       s   create a new empty Sun disklabel
       t   change a partition's system id
       u   change display/entry units
       v   verify the partition table
       w   write table to disk and exit
       x   extra functionality (experts only)
    Since we want to delete the first partition, type "d", I have only one partition on my example drive, but it would ask which partition number 1-4 and you would type "1".

Now we should have three available primary partitions to use. Lets now create a new primary partition, so type "n", then "p" for primary, then "1" for first partition, then take the default first sector by pressing enter, then the default last sector or +size example below:

Code:
    Command (m for help): nPartition type:
       p   primary (0 primary, 0 extended, 4 free)
       e   extended
    Select (default p): p
    Partition number (1-4, default 1):
    Using default value 1
    First sector (2048-61424639, default 2048):
    Using default value 2048
    Last sector, +sectors or +size{K,M,G} (2048-61424639, default 61424639):
    Using default value 61424639
    On the question about the Last Sector, this is where you specify how large that partition will be. So if you wanted to use the same exact size of your first Ubuntu install, then you would type(We will use 50GB for example):

Code:
    Last sector, +sectors or +size{K,M,G} (2048-61424639, default 61424639):+50G
    Now we have successfully deleted and created a new partition, so we must now give the partition a type. Type "p" to list the partition, and if the new partition has an ID of 83 and a System of Linux, then you don't have to worry about creating a type, but for the sake of it (Note that you can type "l" to list all the FS types, but for Ubuntu, the Hex code 83 will work.):

Code:
    Command (m for help): t
    Selected partition 1
    Hex code (type L to list codes): 83
    Now write the changes by typing "w" and now we can begin to make a file system on the new partition so we can use it.

To make a file system, you need to be root so we use "sudo":

Code:
    sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdc1
    I want to note that I changed the size of my partition so it would format it faster but you will still get similar results. Here is the output of that command:

Code:
    mke2fs 1.42.8 (20-Jun-2013)
    Filesystem label=
    OS type: Linux
    Block size=1024 (log=0)
    Fragment size=1024 (log=0)
    Stride=0 blocks, Stripe width=0 blocks
    2560 inodes, 10240 blocks
    512 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
    First data block=1
    Maximum filesystem blocks=10485760
    2 block groups
    8192 blocks per group, 8192 fragments per group
    1280 inodes per group
    Superblock backups stored on blocks:

Allocating group tables: done
    Writing inode tables: done
    Creating journal (1024 blocks): done
    Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done
    So you should now be able to use that partition! Live boot 13.04, just be sure to install it to the proper partition (/dev/sda1) and I hope that fixes your problem.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you. I decided to use the gparted route as it seemed simpler to a dumbo like me!
    Result! - However I now have Win 7 in an ntfs partition and Ubuntu 13.04 in an ext4 prtition, both work fine but the Ubuntu partition is too small. There are two other 'Volumes ' listed in the Ubuntu file system, one of 24GB which I assume from its contents to be the Win 7 one and another of 210GB which I don't seem to be able to access from either OS.
    Have tried to use fdisk to show me more but get confused - man fdisk and help are a bit too obscure for me I regret.
    The screenshot of 'Details' shows the HDD as only 13.1GB, Screenshot from 2013-12-18 23:23:47.png I assume this refers to the Ubuntu 'volume??' only. Actual HDD total is 320GB.

Can you help by telling me how to help you to help me?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Post these commands from the terminal, click on Windows partition in Nautilus or file browser first as second command only shows mounted partitions:

sudo parted /dev/sda unit s print
    df -H
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Apart from 'df -h' it will also help if you can post the output of the following commands as well:
    Code:
    sudo parted -l
    sudo fdisk -l
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Post these commands from the terminal, click on Windows partition in Nautilus or file browser first as second command only shows mounted partitions:

sudo parted /dev/sda unit s print
    df -H
    Thank you oldfriend
    Screenshot of result:-
    Screenshot from 2013-12-19 09:02:23.png
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fantab View Post
    Apart from 'df -h' it will also help if you can post the output of the following commands as well:
    Code:
    sudo parted -l
    sudo fdisk -l
    Thank you fantab
    Screenshots as a result:-
    Screenshot from 2013-12-19 09:01:37.pngScreenshot from 2013-12-19 09:02:23.png

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by RayArdia View Post
    Result! - However I now have Win 7 in an ntfs partition and Ubuntu 13.04 in an ext4 prtition, both work fine but the Ubuntu partition is too small. There are two other 'Volumes ' listed in the Ubuntu file system, one of 24GB which I assume from its contents to be the Win 7 one and another of 210GB which I don't seem to be able to access from either OS.

.............Actual HDD total is 320GB.
    According to 'parted -l', your HDD is 250GB and not 320GB as you think.
    Your 2nd partition NTFS is Windows (23.7Gb) and your partition No.5 is Linux swap (3Gb).

There are two Linux partitions, partition No. 1 (210Gb), and No. 6 (13.5Gb).
    Not sure which of the two is your '/' root partition. Post the output of:

Code:
    df -h
    Last edited by fantab; December 19th, 2013 at 12:53 PM.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast