Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cafe so slooow!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Cafe so slooow!

The Cafe used to be busy, but now it is very un-busy. Look at the first page and you see heaps of threads whose last posts were days or even weeks ago! What happened?
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Cafe so slooow!

Quote Originally Posted by t0p View Post
    The Cafe used to be busy, but now it is very un-busy. Look at the first page and you see heaps of threads whose last posts were days or even weeks ago! What happened?
    Exactly.

There was a time when I used to get replies within seconds (no exaggeration) and now sometimes it takes days and often there are no replies to the most simplistic kind of threads.

Ubuntu has become more user friendly and there is already enough documentation online so users don't visit the forums like they used to or a large number of user have moved to Mint and using their forum.

I think the combination of these two factors is the cause.
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by linuxyogi View Post
    Ubuntu has become more user friendly and there is already enough documentation online so users don't visit the forums like they used to or a large number of user have moved to Mint and using their forum.
    I don't see why using a different distro would have any bearing on the discussions in the cafe.
    I think the reason the cafe has such fewer and more drawn-out postings is because the subjects being discussed are not that interesting.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    I don't see why using a different distro would have any bearing on the discussions in the cafe.
    I think the reason the cafe has such fewer and more drawn-out postings is because the subjects being discussed are not that interesting.
    Agreed. The whole mint forums are very slow.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by t0p View Post
    Dunno what it is but these forums seem very quiet and when you post something people don't respond almost as if they were scared to voice their opinion.

Beans
    Distro

Maybe there are a few lurkers. Reading stuff and finding solutions. But this was a surprise.

Most users ever online was 104,751, October 21st, 2013 at*07:11 PM.
    Last edited by philinux; December 15th, 2013 at 09:46 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Dunno what it is but these forums seem very quiet and when you post something people don't respond almost as if they were scared to voice their opinion.
    There's a newish "Cafe" in town:
    Welcome! This is discourse.ubuntu.com, our new discussion platform. This is a place where you can hang out and talk about Ubuntu.
    How's this different from other sites?

Ask Ubuntu, the Ubuntu Forums, and project mailing lists are where we do our tech support. We recommend those sites for questions about how to configure and use Ubuntu. This is a place where you can share screenshots, talk about your favorite desktops and tools, and in general hang out with your Ubuntu friends in a friendly, relaxed environment.

If you remember what the first few years of the ubuntu "warthogs" mailing list was like or use the Ubuntu subreddit, that's the kind of vibe we're shooting for.
    Source: http://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/welcom...-is-about/1215

Beans

Ever since the site got hacked, things haven't been as active IMHO. Seems like the same dozen or so posters rehashing the same conversations ad nauseam. Discourse doesn't seem much busier: 4 threads with posts in the last 24 hours.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    Ever since the site got hacked, things haven't been as active IMHO. Seems like the same dozen or so posters rehashing the same conversations ad nauseam. Discourse doesn't seem much busier: 4 threads with posts in the last 24 hours.
    Some left in a huff over the sign-on procedure.
    The rehashes maybe some form of therapy or instances of someone is wrong on the internet.
    JC has assured us of an active Discourse in due course: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...3#post12773663
    Last edited by vasa1; December 16th, 2013 at 05:25 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast