Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cafe so slooow!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Cafe so slooow!

Yes, having to login every time is not good. Don't have time to waste.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The numbers say, forum is busier than ever.

Most users ever online was 104,751, October 22nd, 2013 at 12:41 AM.
    “Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things”
    — Robert A. Heinlein

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Is there a graph or a way to get number of Threads versus Time? I understand that the forum past 2 million recently. It would be interesting to see the curve. Another statistic of interest would be the average number of posts per thread--it that is increasing then that would show more forum activity.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The Cafe is an area of the Forum, that many of our members don't know about, and of the ones that do many stay away, as they see it as a waste of time.

Forum usage itself is up quite a bit since the hack, but it seems like many are finding answers to their questions, without having to become a member.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    The Cafe is an area of the Forum, that many of our members don't know about, and of the ones that do many stay away, as they see it as a waste of time.

Forum usage itself is up quite a bit since the hack, but it seems like many are finding answers to their questions, without having to become a member.
    I do have the up most respect for you and always have and will but that statement maybe true sometime a go but not lately. Most top posters left which from what I can get out of it that they want is a fast OS which they can add what they want and not what all the stuff like Windows. Most recent members here seem to want all the bells and whistles and I understand that but that is what choices is all about. I test many OS and see many OS users from here all over as I am myself, I love seeing what's on the other side of the fence and most people do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post

Might be, but a while ago people apparently didn't consider this area a waste of time as activity was a lot higher in here. I know for sure that without the Cafe and the OS Chat section I wouldn't visit this forum so frequent as now. Don't get me wrong I still like the forums a lot and it remains a valuable resource for Ubuntu troubleshooting as well.
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." --Flash Rosenberg

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Euroman View Post
    ... I still like the forums a lot and it remains a valuable resource for Ubuntu troubleshooting as well.
    Erm, being a valuable resource for Ubuntu troubleshooting is the primary aim of these forums I would have thought. This as well as what? As well as the Cafe? The Cafe I see as a very minor (and possibly unnecessary) aspect of these forums.

I've never spent much time in the Cafe, but this thread sure is amusing, shows imagination, and is a little baffling all at the same time ...
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; December 20th, 2013 at 12:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Some people actually like(d) the Cafe area, I don't see what's so baffling?
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." --Flash Rosenberg

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Erm, being a valuable resource for Ubuntu troubleshooting is the primary aim of these forums I would have thought. This as well as what? As well as the Cafe? The Cafe I see as a very minor (and possibly unnecessary) aspect of these forums.

I've never spent much time in the Cafe, but this thread sure is amusing, shows imagination, and is a little baffling all at the same time ...
    I would go further than "possibly unnecessary".

I speculate, totally without proof, that the "opinions" expressed in certain threads in the non-support sections is one of the reasons for Ubuntu Forums being downplayed as a venue for technical help.

Moderators need to monitor posts in non-support sections and that means less attention to actual support. It's not that there aren't other places on the WWW to post about What is great? or Girl Troubles IRL... -.-. Why allow them here? Do support threads suffer as a consequence? I think they can and they do. See this response to what I don't think was an unreasonable request on my part.

The forum software limits the display of "new posts" to the first 250. Posts in non-support threads can push support questions off the front page. I've said this before. That requests for help aren't visible after a while was mentioned in the thread about Unanswered Questions.

I see absolutely no reason, given the constraints of moderator availability, to have an endless number of "games" threads. I'm guessing that these too need to be moderated for content. (I'm not commenting on the quality of most of them.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What's the complaint in this thread? That there are less support questions being asked? Or that the number of megaposters answering them has diminished?

If it's the former then there's always the possibility that people actually search for their problem and find solutions right there at the top of the search results before they ask a question...

Nah that's crazy talk

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast